Possible solution to: screen goes black and computer needs to be restarted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this helps someone with this problem..

For months.. at random, my computer would run and then the screen would go black requireing a restart. this happend randomly and sometimes it would happen 10 times in a row after each restart. Sometimes computer would
work fine for hours or even days without the problem.

some of the time, the computer made an odd screeching noise from the internal speaker.. sometimes not.

Checked everything and replaced nearly everything.. heat.. IRQ's.. graphics card and drivers... nothing worked untill i noticed that the network card would flash at exactly the time the computer screen went down.

turns out my linksys network card was burning up or just heading to the grave. replaced it and never had the issue again.

your network lights should always be on if they have them on your network card while connected. if you experience this same similar problem, take a peek and see if your card lights are still on.. if they are off.. pull the card
and restart.. betcha wont have the problem anymore.. a cheap fix as well!

I was about to replace the motherboard untill i accidentally made this connection.. glad i did.. hope this helps someone else!!!

I might have the same prob?

I have a Toshiba lap-top and It will just go black. what light should I look for?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this helps someone with this problem..

For months.. at random, my computer would run and then the screen would go black requireing a restart. this happend randomly and sometimes it would happen 10 times in a row after each restart. Sometimes computer would
work fine for hours or even days without the problem.

some of the time, the computer made an odd screeching noise from the internal speaker.. sometimes not.

Checked everything and replaced nearly everything.. heat.. IRQ's.. graphics card and drivers... nothing worked untill i noticed that the network card would flash at exactly the time the computer screen went down.

turns out my linksys network card was burning up or just heading to the grave. replaced it and never had the issue again.

your network lights should always be on if they have them on your network card while connected. if you experience this same similar problem, take a peek and see if your card lights are still on.. if they are off.. pull the card
and restart.. betcha wont have the problem anymore.. a cheap fix as well!

I was about to replace the motherboard untill i accidentally made this connection.. glad i did.. hope this helps someone else!!!

supposedly toshiba has a fix for it on their site if your running vista. i did try it and i still get the problems just less often now. this was happening as soon as i got the pc, i have seen it happen as well when trying to watch a dvd on another toshiba but not mine, the problem is supposed to be with the ATI drivers so you can try it and see if it works for you

The only difficulty I see with Rikb99's suggestion, is that most computers do not have network cards anymore.. and most of the motherboard ethernet sockets I see no longer have lights.

hi, I have also the same problem w/ may compaq presario f700, no display on monitor. but after the long on and off it has its display. yet I am using it now. what maybe the problem. need advice

according to toshiba it is an ATI driver issue but i have yet to find someone who was able to fully correct the issue.....

Then why has Toshiba placed a full and working solution on its website. They know the drivers. They know ATI (AMD). The fix should be a quick install from a download if that is the case. It doesn't quite work that way, does it.

no it doesnt i downloaded the drivers and i still get the display error but only if i use full screen and not when im playing DVD's. My sister on the other hand it happens only when she uses a dvd and not movie online

if you have a toshiba make sure your ATI is the proper level as per toshiba problem section. Also make sure you are maxed out with RAM and check the bios as well. i updated all three then i turned off the hardwre accelearater on flash rebooted and turned it back on again. after all of those it now works fine

I am technologically imcompetent so can you just tell me specifically what exactly I need to do to stop my computer from doing this. Thank you

I most likely missed something, coming into this post at a late date, but it would be helpful to know the brand, model, and age of the equipment. It is usually instigated by failed equipment but it could be more than one...

Because it is still under Dell Warranty, I would call Dell Tech support provided in your purchase, and have Dell walk you through the problem... They may be willing to send you a replacement via express shipping, and take that one back. I don't know that it is defective, but our shop works about 500 newish Dell's a year, and this report is unusual.

Back