Possible to see if GFX has been OC'ed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, usually through control panel and advanced display options. I dont know ati very well but nvidea geforce stuff i know better.

it is, go to your advanced display options, click set to optimal setting, if they change from the frequency that is set, you will know. This can sometimes be effected by other things like your cpu and ram etc.

supersmashbrada said:
it is, go to your advanced display options, click set to optimal setting, if they change from the frequency that is set, you will know. This can sometimes be effected by other things like your cpu and ram etc.

I used to have a card that the GFX BIOS would NOT let me OverClock (system froze), but i could get to the "detect optimal settings" pannel and it would give me a clock that wasnt default. How do you explain that supersmashbrada?

Im asking because i want to buy a GFX from someone who says they have never overclocked it. I want to find out if they are telling the truth.

You cannot tell, unless they've done something relaly radical like a voltmod, or BIOS flash.

If they just use ATItool, you'll never find anything to hint that they've been overclocking.

Telltale signs of overclocking is an aftermarket cooler, although it may be for noise reasons.

But then again, it might mean they know what they're doing. Compared to someone who just discovered something called ATItool off google when he typed in "overclock", and decided to see how high he can go. On stock cooling.

Might be a good thing too, cos he'll crash the card, and probably sell it off ASAP, cheap, because he thinks he's permanently damaged the card.

yeah like I said, I dont know much about ATI, not sure what you have, you can always look up stock clock rates for the card and go check frequencies of it.

If the guy knew what he was doing, chances are that he reversed everything back to stock speeds.

What about physical signs on the card? would there be anything that the card manufacturer puts in place to see if a card under warranty has been over clocked?
cheers

The best you can do on that front is to check the warranty seals. This would show whether they've tempered with the cooling.

I dont think anything on the card would show if frequencies have been tampered with, I personally would check the manufacturer stock frequencies and run RivaTuner or advance display options to compare, then you would know.

What help would that do you? That would only help if they messed with BIOS, and not many overclockers mess with video BIOS.

They usually use rivatuner or atitool, and those won't show up at all.

well advanced display setting i know for geforce cards show the currency frequency...soooo, if you can see the current frequency that the card is at, and you look up the stock clock rates you can find out if they have been altered at all.

They do show current frequency, but with atitool and rivatuner, they always revert back to stock after you shut the comp down.

So you'll never find out if they've overclocked it or not.

i thought there was an option to save frequencies, but again that would depend on if it was actually saved. tooooooooshay cmh toooooshay.

you can save frequencies, but you'll have to go to the program, and actually load them up each time you startup.

Which I always have to do, because I feel that flashing BIOS is a little too risky, since I don't own any PCI graphics cards...

CMH said:
you can save frequencies, but you'll have to go to the program, and actually load them up each time you startup.

Which I always have to do, because I feel that flashing BIOS is a little too risky, since I don't own any PCI graphics cards...

Yea u absolutly right... overclock tool like atitool can load frequencies via :

1 Start menu (current user, or all users)
2 Registry key

HughJass said:
Hello all,

It is possible to if a graphics card has been over clocked?

thanks

yes it is very easy download pcwizard 2007 and check the overclocking tab to learn if youe cpu,gpu is overclocked or not

abhinit90 said:
yes it is very easy download pcwizard 2007 and check the overclocking tab to learn if youe cpu,gpu is overclocked or not

that would clearly not work for what im trying to do. i want to find out if it is possible to see if it has been overclocked BEFORE,

abhinit90 said:

learn to read the first post, and all the corresponding posts before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back