Possible to use current HDD in new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostfuze

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building a new computer, but using my current 60GB HDD and DVD/CD-RW Drive with it.

Can I use my current HDD on a new system without any problems? When I install the new WinXp, will it format the HDD back to normal or will it screw up?

Thanks if you can help me out :grinthumb

EDIT: I'm not worried about keeping any data, just being able to actually use the drive. Just incase you needed to know or not. :knock:

So long as you make sure to delete all your partitions and then reformat there shouldn`t be a problem.

The reason you will have to do the above is because your HDD will have all the drivers for your old mobo on it and wont work with your new system because of this.

Regards Howard :)

I don't think it should matter, all you will need to do is place your current HDD in your new system and make sure it is set to primary master, then insert your XP CD and start the computer (make sure boot form CD is first boot option in the BIOS). Just trying to boot your PC with the old HDD in the new PC will ultimately result in a problem, but since you will be formatting it there is nothing to worry about. Just start the installation and make sure you choose to format the HDD as you begin your install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back