possible virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_Bug

Recently i've been receving several emails with strange subjects and no content from people I don't know. And apparently my hotmail account in conjuction wthi Messenger has been sending ppl I've never heard of and not on my address books or anything the same strange emails, random subjects and no content. I know at least 2 confirmed cases, but since Hotmail doesn't automatically save anything composed... I'm not sure how much this thing has gone out.

THe only attachment I've opened in recent memory is a Microsoft Word program, but I've also been running Norton Antivirus 2002 up to date in the background, and it has scanned it twice. I am currently running a full scan of my computer, but I doubt I'll actually find anything. So this really baffles me. Was it someone that managed to obtain my password (hehehehehehe guess what it is), which seems unlikely given the actions, or some new exploit unpatched or even some Messenger worm/virus/whatever going around?

I did visit a site documenting unpatched IE vulnerabilities, some of them including manipulation of Messenger.

Has anyone seen or heard of the same?

Not sure but Hotmail scans all attachments for virus anyway.

I did visit a site documenting unpatched IE vulnerabilities, some of them including manipulation of Messenger.
This is refering to the Messenger service not MSN Messenger.

Just scanned every file on my computer, no infected files found.

I forgot to mention that OfficeXP is pre SP1 cause I'm too lazy to do the admin image update then flip to client. However that's why I got Norton antivirus for.

BY Messenger, I meant Windows Messenger. t he site I visited included scripts that demonstrated how you can get someones MSN contact list, for example.

Originally posted by Mac_Bug
emails with strange subjects and no content from people I don't know.
NEVER NEVER NEVER
Open attachments from stangers, or even from friends if you were not expecting them.

I delete (don't even open) any email from a person or a subject not recognized. just deleted one that said "meeting notice," size 190k. yea, right!

uncleel:

THis is on hotmail, not my Outlook Express.

I am 100% certified not infected at this moment, yet I continue to receive these emails as well as webmaster return errors saying that the virus I sent out cannot be delivered. They appear to be blank in hotmail but are in fact embedded within the message, but there is absolutely no way it cna infect me.

I've confirmed the stuff I got sent is this Klez that is going around, but I have changed my hotmail password and still cannot figure out how and why my hotmail account is sending emails on its own, or appears to be.

answer found

I should finish reading the security bulletin next time heh

Email spoofing
Some variants of this worm use a technique known as "spoofing." If it does this, it chooses at random an address that it finds on an infected computer as the "From:" address that it uses when it performs its mass-mailing routine. Numerous cases have been reported in which users of uninfected computers receive complaints that they have sent an infected message to someone else.

Well there you go. At least I know it's not me or Hotmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back