POST/BOOT issue

JimFew

O.k. so here is the problem; I have a custom-built computer that as service me well over the years that it was built. Its specs are as follows, ASUS FX3 class motherboard, 32GB DDR3 system memory, 12TB storage, HDMI video G-force Graphics with 4GB memory, AMD 9590 processor running at 5.0Ghz, 1,000-watt PSU. It is liquid cooled. About a month ago, it lost video, due to time limits, I decided to take it to a local computer repair shop, instead of repairing it myself. They had it over one and a half weeks and tell me that the motherboard, processor and graphics card are shot and have to be replaced. I collected the computer from them and purchased new parts as I was planning on building a new computer to replace this one soon. I built a new system using a gaming class ASUS X370-F motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3.6Ghz processor, 32GB DDR4 system memory, using the internal HDMI graphics and a new 1,000-watt PSU. I switched to an air-cooled configuration as liquid cool is not necessary. The problem I started having now I replace the computer case for one with better air flow design was the power for standby mode worked and if you tried to power the computer up it would spin up the fans and power back down. After several failed attempts to correct it, I decided that the new case power switch might be bad. I placed the new parts in the old case, and it powers up, it does not appear to perform the POST or attempts to display video. The power does stay on until I switch it off. I am out of ideas to try to verify the computer is powering up and working. I welcome all inputs to resolve this strange issue.

Cycloid Torus

Troubleshooting tree from ComputerHope: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

I regularly check this to be sure I haven't missed a step.

PS As to your old machine, it is seldom that 3 major components are "shot" all together, except when you have had a cooling leak or were hit by lightning. I would refer to: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000241.htm and focus on the idea of a failed display card

Alternative is to remove personal files and turn it over to the manual arts department at the local high school - they would love to 'play' with it. Sounds like a really fine system

JimFew

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Verified no coolant leak before taking computer to the repair shop. I set the old parts aside for testing when I have more time in a few months to check then out myself. The new motherboard has four status LED. They show the motherboard is getting power (standby mode), DRAM, CPU VGA, BOOT. The only one lighting up is the standby LED and when power is applied, the CPU cooling fan LEDs come on during it spin up. As it is not powering up pass the standby, I am unable to access the drives.

Cycloid Torus

"Make sure all fans are running on the computer. " Including the one in the PSU... Are they?

"Verify all the cables are securely connected to the computer and that there are no loose cables by firmly pressing in each cable. " Did you?

Any error codes? LED read outs? Beeps? Why not? With adequate power, you should get errors if it does not POST.

Since it seems you have a PSU in common with the two builds, get it tested or swap in a PSU (borrow / buy). Otherwise I would follow the "No Post" steps from ComputerHope.

JimFew

"Make sure all fans are running on the computer. " Including the one in the PSU... Are they?

"Verify all the cables are securely connected to the computer and that there are no loose cables by firmly pressing in each cable. " Did you?

Any error codes? LED read outs? Beeps? Why not? With adequate power, you should get errors if it does not POST.

Since it seems you have a PSU in common with the two builds, get it tested or swap in a PSU (borrow / buy). Otherwise I would follow the "No Post" steps from ComputerHope.
All connected fans power up and spin freely. All cables are connected securely. No POST LEDS light up. It the same with both PSU. Try a 750 WATT PSU no change. I would add a image for the computer powered up to better show. However, it appears that jpegs are not allowed.

JimFew

All connected fans power up and spin freely. All cables are connected securely. No POST LEDS light up. It the same with both PSU. Try a 750 WATT PSU no change. I would add a image for the computer powered up to better show. However, it appears that jpegs are not allowed.

Cycloid Torus

Jpeg? - there is a size restriction. As I recall something around 1000x1000.

Please review Section 2 of motherboard manual ( https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8_ROG_STRIX_X370-F_GAMING_UM_WEB_20170512.pdf ) to be certain all steps up thru page 2-15 are completed. As the manual says on 2-16, you may wish to "check jumpers / call retailer" if NO POST.... otherwise you may wish to try following their 'troubleshooting': https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042632

Without some indication of 'error', this is about as far as I can take you. A search of this model and 'No POST" might come up with something insightful.

neeyik

Staff member
I built a new system using a gaming class ASUS X370-F motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3.6Ghz processor, 32GB DDR4 system memory, using the internal HDMI graphics and a new 1,000-watt PSU.
What internal HDMI graphics? Ryzen 7 CPUs have no integrated GPU, so you need to use a graphics card.

neeyik

Staff member
That HDMI socket only works when very specific Ryzen processors are used:

Ryzen 3 2200G
Ryzen 5 2400G
Ryzen 3 3200G
Ryzen 5 3400G

These CPUs have a built in graphics chip, whereas other Ryzen processors do not. So you will need to buy a graphics card because your Ryzen 7 has no ability to generate a monitor output.

JimFew

That HDMI socket only works when very specific Ryzen processors are used:

Ryzen 3 2200G
Ryzen 5 2400G
Ryzen 3 3200G
Ryzen 5 3400G

These CPUs have a built in graphics chip, whereas other Ryzen processors do not. So you will need to buy a graphics card because your Ryzen 7 has no ability to generate a monitor output.
I got thinking about that, doesn't make sense to me to place an video port on the motherboard if it does have a built-in graphics. Thank you very much for sharing this with me. I will look into a graphics card for the computer.

JimFew

I finally was able to get a person with ASUS online. Found out I have two issues. First one, I not have GPU,( I thought I did). Second one, the memory is rather slow. I will purchase a GPU and faster memory. Thank you for all your help.

Reactions: Cycloid Torus