Potential malware (HJT log attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

i just got my parents computer back up today after it was down for a while (psu went out) when i right click on the desktop the computer completely freezes, it can be sluggish at times when nothing is running... my dad insists on running aol safety and security center, when i go to install that it will install but wont open... i go to open windows firewall in the control panel and i get (and i quote) "due to a unspecified error, firewall settings cannot be opened"... ive been through everything with this system, its really pissing me off... attached is a HJT log... Please help!

EDIT** now the HJT log is attached sorry, forgot to attach first time...

Hi,

You are running an outdated version of HijackThis.
You can obtain the latest version from the link in my signature.

Also, your HijackThis log appears to be cut off at the end. I can't tell if it is the full log.

You may wish to copy and paste these instructions on notepad for easier reference later.

Boot into safe mode under your normal user name. See how HERE

Next turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE

Go to start > run and type services.msc. Press the enter key.
Search for the following services. Double click to select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Viewpoint Manager Service

Go to start > Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs.
Remove anything related to the following:

Viewpoint

Open your task manager by pressing holding ctrl, alt and pressing del. Alternatively, use ctrl + shift + esc. Go to the processes tab, and end the following processes, if found:

ALCMTR.EXE
ViewpointService.exe

After that, run HijackThis and fix the following entries, if found (do this by placing a tick in the check boxes beside these entries and clicking "Fix checked"):

O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = ?
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

Close HJT.

Navigate in Windows Explorer and delete the following files and folders in bold.

C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Thereafter, please post fresh HJT, ComboFix and AVG Antispyware logs from normal mode as attachments into this thread. The utilities can be downloaded from the links in my signature.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of GameJunkie72792 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

cool thanks, ive never had a problem with the log being cut off though... ill repost!

EDIT** im having a problem with HJT when i download the .exe it wont save and the partly functioning aol ssc says its a suspect file. when i download the .zip windows blocks me from unzipping, im going to attempt to use winrar to unzip because i know its not a file to be concerned with BTW i dl'd from trend micro...

ive downloaded all versions i could find, none will unzip using any unzipping tool (i tried the windows unzipping tool, winzip, and winrar) im stuck now... ive just removed 116 cases of malware (dialers, trojans and registry keys) using ad aware, im currently running spybot and after all my testing is complete ill then try hjt again

Ah I see.
Well you are at it, I suggest you might as well complete the full instructions from the thread in my signature. It will most definitely facilitate the cleaning process since ad aware detected so many junk ;)

Do remember to post the requested logs.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of GameJunkie72792 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

cool i will the computer doesnt lag on the right click anymore, but ill still post the logs when i get home

EDIT** the mobo is having problems, so i cant get the log right now, i think its time for a new computer... my parents dont seem to think so, im working on the logs though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back