Powecolor 9600 Pro 256mb or an Asus 9600 Pro 128mb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

both have 400clock speed.. only difference..

Powercolor:
256mb (128bit) with 200mhz memory speed (x2)
$127 Canadian

Asus:
128mb (128bit) with 300mhz memory speed (x2)
$129 Canadian

I think the one with the higher memory speed will perform better, even though it has less memory.

yea, i think it will.. my friend has a sapphire one, n it has 446mhz on the memory (46 more mhz) n he scores atleast several hundred more than me on 3dmark2001 =[

im thinking of returning mine right now, the powercolor, and just wait a few days (to order n come in) for the Asus...

whadya think?

btw, i scored 9700 on 3dmark =[

the 12000 ones, im assuming are ones with 600mhz on the memory.. hmm..

Definitely Go with the Faster Memory

The faster memory will almost definitely benefit you more than the larger size. Most, if not all current game aren't able to fill 256MB of graphics card memory anyway - I think.

yea seems like it.. i was playing NFSU2 last night, was great, i almost didnt wanna switch to a faster memory card nemore..

will memory speed have an actual impact in game performance? or will that be left to the engine clock?

Yes, the memory speed does play a part in speed in games. I oc'ed my 6600gt's memory from 1000mhz to 1210mhz, and it was a lot faster. It seemed to increase the cards speed almost as much as oc'ing the core. The bad thing is most mem chips don't have heatsinks on them and if you oc too much, it can fry the memory, or so I've heard. YMMV.

YMMV? yeaa.. im gonna try and return/exchange my card.. i need a good reason tho.. because ive already installed it n tried it.. got ne ideas?

YMMV= your mileage may vary, in other words overclocking isn't guaranteed. I may get a big overclock, while someone else may get almost no overclock on their card, or vice versa.

oooh ok.. yea i heard stuff about the 9600pros being locked.. so i cant OC them.. =[ sa'll good im gonna try n switch to a 128mb with faster mem speed... id rather have the performance over memory..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back