Power Adapter Clicking and computer dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway laptop and it has completely died and will not turn on. I noticed that when it died the AC adapter was making a clicking noise so I figured I would replace the adapter to see if that was the problem. I have replaced it but the new one also makes the same clicking noise but only when plugged into the computer (as was the problem with the old one). I know the AC adapter is giving sufficient power but the computer is not taking it. Any suggestions as to what it could be or how I can fix it? Detailed directions on how to fix it would be appreciated as I am no computer whiz. Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about laptops...but isn't there a power supply inside that the ac adaptor plugs in to? I imagine there has to be. Well I have seen, and smelled, (and heard) a few power supply units blow up. Often times they make a clicking noise. This is how it is with desktop power supplies but they have to be similiar to a laptop power supply. *(If laptops don't use a psu, please disregard this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back