Power LED flashing, PC nonresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy6erpuke

I am desperate.

I cannot get my PC to start up again. The power LED is flashing slowly constantly unless I unplug the power cord ( then it blinks 3 times and fades out). When I plug the cord in again.... slow flashing again.

I have tried pressing the power button for several seconds while power cord is out and while in. I have tried the reset button. I have disconnected my UPS and ran straight from wall plug. All the same ...... still slow flashing. (about 2 seconds on, then 2 seconds off)

This problem did show up some weeks ago and would happen now and then. Sollution was to disconnect power cable and wait a few seconds. Plug back in and the light would stay off. Then switch on.... fine. Now I cannot get the light to stop flashing or the PC to start up. Please help, my system was built to play CSS every day!

I have AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
nForce4 mobo (MSI)
2 x 512 DDR400 ram
NX6600 PCIe video card
160GB Sata2 hard drive

Any ideas welcome, I promise feedback.

sounds like a bad power supply (you didn't list your PSU in your system specs, do i'm guessing it's a generic PSU, it probably crapped out on ya)

I took my machine in for repairs today. I read a post on another site last night suggesting that the motherboard is responsible for putting the PSU in a sleep (standby) state. Sounds spooky? Well, they have ordered a new motherboard, because it did the same with a new PSU. Here is the intersting bit:

Take a brand new PSU, hook it up to my spooky machine. The moment you plug in the power cable it goes into power LED flashing coma. I would love to see what happens if you put the sleepy PSU back into another machine... will it wake up??? Anyway, I will know more on Monday with new motherboard arriving.

Anybody got anything to add? :giddy:

I'm reviving a dead thread here, but I'm as desperate as Cy6erpuke was when he first posted this.

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you had! :eek: I was just about to take my PSU (an Enermax Liberty 500W) out and use my warranty on it, but now that I have finally found someone who also had this problem I want to ask something first.

I have AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
nForce4 mobo (MSI)
2 x 512 DDR400 ram
NX6600 PCIe video card
160GB Sata2 hard drive

That nforce4 MSI motherboard, is it by any chance a K8N Diamond Plus? Cause that is the mobo I have and seeing as replacing it with a new one (which brand btw?) seemed to help out in your case I wonder if it will too for me.

Now let's hope you will read this :p

Thanks for the link, however it doesn't help me with my quite unique and special problem. The PC works perfectly (no errors at all, no power shortages anywhere, I could even overclock it and it would run sweet) once I get it to boot. I mean I first had this problem:

This problem did show up some weeks ago and would happen now and then. Sollution was to disconnect power cable and wait a few seconds. Plug back in and the light would stay off. Then switch on.... fine.

I did the same procedure to get it to stop flashing and it would run fine. This problem showed up like three months ago, and while it was annoying, I could live with it.

Now it changed to this:

I cannot get my PC to start up again. The power LED is flashing slowly constantly unless I unplug the power cord ( then it blinks 3 times and fades out). When I plug the cord in again.... slow flashing again.

I now just want to know if it is the mobo causing this issue (I probably have the same mobo as Cy6erpuke) and which one he has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back