Power off question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuck

When I shut sown Windows 98SE, my Asus A7V8X-X board still has the LED on the board lit. I then have to turn off the system with the switch on the back of the case. Hitting the power switch on the front of the case restarts the system.

I know that in the BIOS power settings they can be set so that you don't need to use the switch(back of case). What settings do I use. Now have set to SOFTOFF.

I have an ANTEC ATX case with 300Watts.

Do you mean that there is a LED on the motherboard that is lit even when you turn off the PC? This is normal, ATX motherboards always have power, even when the computer is "off". The only way to turn off power completely is to pull the plug or the switch on the PSU.

Yes the green led on the board itself stays lit when one exits Win 98.l It is supposed to flash (flicker) when in sleep mode and steady otherwise. Hate to turn the mechanical switch oh the power supply on and off so often but maybe that is it. I don't understand the BIOS softoff selection.

What type of motherboard do you have?

Has it always done this since you've owned the machine?

I've had this happen before when the Power LED connector was reversed, or placed incorrectly on the board.

I have an Asus A7V8X-X board, an Antec 300w case and use an Athlon XP1700 cpu. I run win 98. I just very recently installed the board so have no history for it.

its normal that the light is on thats a warning for to help u to remind that its still live. the motherboard needs power because it keeps the clock working on the system.

Originally posted by rbuck
I have an Asus A7V8X-X board, an Antec 300w case and use an Athlon XP1700 cpu. I run win 98. I just very recently installed the board so have no history for it.

Check the Power Led --> Mobo connection to make sure it is properly oriented and on the right pins.

Also, consult the motherboard manual for that board to see if it indicates that the light will stay on. I will ask around to see if anyone else using that board has had that problem.

dude...I have this board, and that is an indicator that there is still power to the board, all ATX boards have power going to them even when the power switch is off...the LED being on is normal, don't worry about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back