Power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer will not restart unless I cut power to the power supply (either unplug, or flip the power switch on the power supply). the bios also looses the dram delay and fsb settings every couple of restarts.
once running it works and shuts down just fine. if I don't kill the power the computer freezes during post like it's missing a main system compotent (no monitor signal, hdd light constant, power light on, both cd drive's light blink once then stay off).
the bios keeps all my other settings (like: serial disabled, sound disabled, drive info, etc.)

If it's a home-built PC, check that the motherboard is not making any false contacts.
Check the studs it's mounted on, that ALL of them match a mounting hole.
Check the PS/2 ports, USB and RJ45 ports for proper guiding in the backplate as well.

It is a home-build pc and it ran fine for about a year. then it started not only the not starting untill I unpluged it even when I did unplug the power but the seem to stop when I changed the dram delay from 3 to 2.5 or lower.
But I will check the motherboard connections tonight.

I checked the motherboard's screws and electical connections, all good. then I checked all the power connectors for loose connections, all good. I checked the motherboard and the other boards, no blown caps, no burn spots.

I tried the SPD setting figuring it was the RAM, yesterday, and the computer went back to not starting every time even when I unpluged it.

I tried safe and optimal settings as well.
I found that my soon to be father-in-law bought me 366mhz ddr instead of 400Mhz.
so I have 512MB 400Mhz ddr in memory slot 1 and 512MB of 366Mhz ddr in memory slot 2.
could the computer be resetting proccessor speed and memory speed to try and use the 400Mhz? and if I switch the memory chips will it stop?
don't have time to try it tonight, maybe tomarrow.

Mixing two speeds of RAM is never a reliable thing. Id take the 333Mhz out. see if it helps..

When mixing 2 speeds, the whole memory reverts to the speed of the slowest stick.
It is never a good idea to mix, as it creates havoc in most cases (as in yours...)
The memory controller more often than not gets confused.

Sorry it took a long time, I've been overloaded w/ work.
but I reset the CMOS and seems to have gone back to normal. the more I played w/ the bios the weirder it acted so I figured something was up.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back