Power Requirement for 7600GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfitzarl

TechSpot Chancellor
My parents' video card is not cutting it. Since I am not going to change the power supply (it's technically not my computer), so I am trying to work with Sony's Generic 300Watt (18A on 2 +12V Rails). I see that on the 7600GS, it has a power requirement of 300Watts. I was just wondering if it is wise to purchase a card that requires the amound of power I have. Thanks for any feedback :wave: ! Happy holidays!
 

DonNagual

TechSpot Ambassador
It'll depend on how much other hardware is in that system, but there is a good chance it will work. No way to be certain until you pop it in, but my guess is, you'll be good.
 

cfitzarl

TechSpot Chancellor
DonNagual said:
It'll depend on how much other hardware is in that system, but there is a good chance it will work. No way to be certain until you pop it in, but my guess is, you'll be good.
Ok, thanks!
 

agi_shi

TS Rookie
cfitzarl said:
Ok, thanks!
What do they need the card for though? I doubt they need a 7600GS... depending on their needs something like a 7300GS may/will be more appropriate. Unless, you know, they do gaming...
 

kitty500cat

TS Evangelist
Boogityboo04 said:
I think carl games on their computer :)
That's how it is for me. Somehow my parents' S3 Unichrome integrated graphics don't quite cut it for NFS: Underground or SimCity 4 ;), but I don't feel like putting in a graphics card; that's why I'm getting my own laptop soon (hopefully) :)
 

Boogityboo04

TS Rookie
You should just get a part time job and save up $600 or so and buy yourself your own computer. It's a lot better than having to share your parents computer.
 

cfitzarl

TechSpot Chancellor
Boogityboo04 said:
You should just get a part time job and save up $600 or so and buy yourself your own computer. It's a lot better than having to share your parents computer.
I have my own computer, note it in my signature ;) . My parents will get this for when I visit them, so I can game.
 

PikaChop

TS Rookie
dont worry about the power supply trust me. I would go with the 7600 gt because it goes around for about 100, AND today is your LUCKIEST day i hope!
7600 gs/gt does not need a power supply that is directly connected to your power supply. Its a great video card for any one that wants to game but doesnt know anything. ( no offense to others). have fun
 

cfitzarl

TechSpot Chancellor
PikaChop said:
dont worry about the power supply trust me. I would go with the 7600 gt because it goes around for about 100, AND today is your LUCKIEST day i hope!
7600 gs/gt does not need a power supply that is directly connected to your power supply. Its a great video card for any one that wants to game but doesnt know anything. ( no offense to others). have fun
The 7600GS/GT is just a strict Mid-End card, I know. It's the fact that their Sony Vaio VGC-RB33GY came with an X300 :evil: . I myself just upgraded my video card (in signature). I just want to verify from your comment in the last post that I do know what I'm doing; I just want a second opinion. I picked the 7600 because it's good for moderate gaming (Half-Life 2 in particular).
 

PikaChop

TS Rookie
cfitzarl said:
The 7600GS/GT is just a strict Mid-End card, I know. It's the fact that their Sony Vaio VGC-RB33GY came with an X300 :evil: . I myself just upgraded my video card (in signature). I just want to verify from your comment in the last post that I do know what I'm doing; I just want a second opinion. I picked the 7600 because it's good for moderate gaming (Half-Life 2 in particular).
here listen to me,i dont want to get into an argument and all but i have a DELL.
sad i know, has an average of what.. 305 watt, and for that i have calculated my power supply usaged and i have some what 105 watt for everyday use. When i put this baby in it only took like 100 watts to work. so total 205. My dell had a pcie slot which i heavenly thank for and i put into use. i only have 512 ram and ran fear and bf2 perfectly with no frame rates missing. so yes just go with the 7600gs or gt not my money but yours indeeed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.