Power Supply Compatibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz d.

When buying a new power supply...is the only thing that has to be compatible the 20 or 24 pin connector to the mobo? Or are there other things to take into consideration?

Thanks,
Chaz D.

The maker of the PSU as well as how many watts are the two biggest factors when buying a PSU. If you read through a lot of the post in this forum, you'll find that many of the problems are PSU related, and that these problems are extremely hard to diagnose.

Investing in a decent PSU will save you major headaches!!! Here is a good thread for buying PSUs: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

The main thing to consider when buying a new psu is it`s quality.

I`d personally recommend either Antec, or Enermax psu`s.

It doesn`t really matter about the 20, or 24 pin connector, as adapters for those are readily available, and might even come with the new psu.

Take a look at this excellent article on psu`s. The psu thread. It`s a real good read, and gives sound advice on what psu`s are worth buying, and which psu`s to avoid.

You might also want to use this handy psu wattage calculator HERE.

Just remember to add another 30% to whatever figure it gives you. This is because even a good quality psu will only achieve around the 70% efficiency mark, with a cheap psu not getting anywhere near that.

I hope this proves useful.

Regards Howard :) :)

what do you guys think?

Thanks for the reply..
Ive seen that PSU post....its pretty cool...there are so many to choose from..im looking at the $100 to $160 range...

Ive narrowed it down a bit....to these two PSU's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817167013

Ive been around to a few places, and they are really hyping up this psu...i was wondering what you guys thought about it after you looked at the specs...

the second one is this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103437

Lemme know what you guys think... Also, if any of you know of one that I should check out, that would be awesome...I really don't mind spending the money if it means that im going to have an awesome product...

Point me in the right direction guys, pick one out for me!! :)

Thanks,
chaz d.

I`d go with the Enermax. A well respected manufacturer.

Whilst the XG Magnum PSMG-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply looks good on paper, I can`t find too much info on it, and I haven`t managed to find any reviews either.

Just my 2cents.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

One more thing...

If you were bulding a nice new computer, and you were going to pick one out for yourself...and you were willing to spend $160 to $170 bucks on one...which one would you buy??
Go on a shopping spree with my money and pick out your favorite product :) Thanks Howard!!

Chaz D.

last thing howard...

Thanks for shopping :)

One more thing...

The first power supply looks good...but after reading all the reviews...A LOT of people said that this thing was exploding inside their cases!! More than one person said this, about 10 or 15....soooo, I'm wondering if you saw this, and just ignored it....or were unaware of all of the bad reviews?

Secondly, I like that second one...A liiiiittle expensive, but again, I might pay the money if I know that I'm getting something I can rely on...

What do u think about those reviews?

Thanks,
Chaz D.

I was unaware of those bad reviews, but now I`ve seen them, I withdraw my recommendation for that particular psu.

Perhaps it`s due to a bad batch, but I`d still be very nervous of putting one in my system.

Regards Howard :cool:

Well then...
Back to step one... Aside from the "firework abundant" psu...and the $200 one...
AND Aside from the Magnum one I told you about earlier (Due to size limitation of my case)....
NOW what would you reccommend?

Thanks for helping out howard...

Chaz D.

what the heck is this guy talking about?

"I like this particular model and all, has good voltage settings, quiet, plenty of connectors....but you gotta check your system amperage requirements! This this has only 19A on each 12V+ rail..I calculated my mobo and other 12V device draw, and I came pretty close to trouble. My take, It works for me, but it could be a hairy take for others. "

I dont understand all that Voltage mumbo jumbo? is this guy a tard...or is this a real problem..

thanks,
chaz d.

It can get a little confusing, but to say it simply:

The parts of your computer don't all use the same type of power, so a power supply has to be able to distribute different types, as needed. Some power supplies are good at producing type X but not type Y for example.

In that quote you have above, he is saying that the 12v+ rail (one of the types of power the power supply gives out) is possibly not high enough for some heavy users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back