Power supply death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm happily reminiscing playing a game of Half Life 2 and my computer just dies like there had been a power outage.

There's no problems with the power or cables etc, but the system now won't power up. The PSU makes a clicking sound and the power light on the case flashes for a 1/2 second but thats it.

I removed all the components one by one with no joy until I took out my graphics card (GeForce 6800) and then it all came to life. I'm not even sure whether it posted though because there was no video signal (obviously).

My thoughts were a power supply problem? Its an 'Eagle' 350w (came with the case). I always thought 350w was a little underpowered and the fact the system died at a time of high power drain makes me think the PSU has died. Well, the 12v line anyway.

Another brief thought is my RAM. I bought DDR 400 ram even though my mobo only unofficially supported it. It crashed in games so i clocked it down to 333 levels and everything worked stable. However from time to time the bios would seem to forget i had underclocked the RAM and put it back up to full tilt. Again the system would crash and i would change the settings. Is it possible this time it just fried the RAM or mobo?

Here's the rest of my specs:

p4 2.4ghz
MSI 648max
1gb ddr 400 ram
geforce 6800
wd 40gb hd
maxtor 60gb hd
sb audigy

Any advice would be very appreciated!

PSUs don't always die with dignity - they prattle on giving little signs of life for ages. It could be the board if the PSU produced a death-surge and you would be unlucky.
If the RAM was fried you would get a boot then a string of beeps as it failed the POST.
You could try opening the case and disconnecting everything from the PSU except the main board - if it boots it is one of the drives with a short.
If you have a local computer shop, take out the PSU and ask them to test it - they should have a tester which puts a load on the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back