Power supply help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chappu

Is there a certain type of power supply i need to buy or are they all the same?, cause just bought a new graphics card and since i have installed it my sound has been messed up, using ventrillo mainly,its skips alot and will start to buzz. I think this is because i dont have enough power. Only 170w power supply in there now, can u guys help me select a newer 1 thaqt is cheap.

170w is pretty low.

Probably need some more details on the system - processor, Vid Card etc

Is it in an ATX case? ie your everyday Upright type Case? that will make things a lot easier as Power Supplies are pretty standard for these and you can pick one up anywhere.

The Desktop - ie Horizontal - Cases are often much harder to get PSU's for as they are generally physically smaller.

If you get a "Name Brand" PSU, like an Antec etc, you'll be much better off than with a "Yum Cha" one.

Yea i have a simple old dell that im working on, Dimension4400, can u help me pick out a new Power supply thats cheap.

Go to newegg.com and buy any PSU with overvoltage protection thatt is ATX form factor, it will be better than your current PSU.

If 170W is enough to even BOOT the system 350w-400w is an extreme overkill, the 250w should do fine but FSp is a better brand.

You can use a powersupply supplied from a different manufacturer, you do not need a factory Dell powersupply and even if you got one from Dell, it just has there named stamped on it, they didn't make it either.

I have been in a simular position before concerning computer power supply questions. The best website that I have found is jonnyGuru.com. .

The psu I linked you to in post #6 is not the preferred replacement. Power On has the generic versions (ATX) and are cheaper than the PC Power+Cooling "preferred" versions. You get what you pay for and skimping on your psu may cost you more in the long run than the $ you will save now.
That's a decision only you can make.

Im using the Radeon 9600 pro Atlantis
I guess its Agp 4x/8x or w/e dont know much about this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back