Power supply issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer that isnt turning on. I tested the power supply with a power supply tester and everything works when i test it. I unplugged all pci cards, all led cables and stuff like that, and left just the power switch cable hooked up. and it still doesnt power on, any ideas on what might be going on???

m_neugebauer00 said:
I tested the power supply with a power supply tester and everything works when i test it
a "power supply tester"? I didn't realize such a device existed? do you mean you tested it with a multi-meter??

try shorting the power switch pins on the mobo wih a flathead screwdriver to see if you have a faulty power switch

Even though you "tested" it, if you have a spare PSU, try it out, if not, then...

1.) unplug everything from the mobo and clean it (blow out any dust, etc.)
2.) remove the CMOS battery and clear CMOS (if the board has a CMOS clear jumper, use it), wait at least a minute before reinstalling the battery
3.) then install 1 stick of RAM, a video card, and the boot hard drive -nothing else!
4.) now plug the PSU into the mobo, plug in AC power, and try to power on

if it boots, then reinstall 1 component at a time and reboot

the tester i got it just plugs into the power connector to the motherboard and has an led on it and if it turns on it works, but whatever,

i tried a different power supply, no luck,

tried with everything unplugged, all usb and all expansion cards,

tried to short out the power switch pins,

and cleared the cmos, still no luck, the only thing left is the motherboard, could that be the problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back