Status
Not open for further replies.
ANTEC SLK2650-BQE tower
350 WATT
Pentium 4 HT CPU
P4 Titan 865PE mobo
40G Dell harddrive from old tower Dimension 4600C
1GB Kingston RAM upgrade from 512 dell standard

I will start out by saying that I have not done any of the following..:) I am only trying to help my hubby fix the computer before my credit card is maxed out from all the replacing!

This all started out as a "simple" graphics card upgrade to be able to play BF2 (to the ATI Radeon..umm the red one with the fan) sorry no specs. didn't check the size before leaving store and tower would not close after installation. However it worked fine. Then needed/wanted a RAM upgrade. bought a 1gb Kingston card for tower, got home and realized that power supply was not sufficient, went back out and purchased Antec tower. worked for one day. and then went out and bought the mobo listed above. It ran a little after that but then just shut down. (this was while heatsink was just sitting on CPU w/o fan) DUH! Now system will not power on. Have replaced CPU the with intel listed above. Now all that happens is the continuous beeping on start up. Obviously this is a power issue but where should I begin? Taking tower back to store tonight hopefully will do something. Thankfully we have 2 comps but mine will not be a party to this madness! :) Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

if the hard drive is from the Dell it sint going to boot up and run on a different motherboard and CPU. you are going to have to do a format and reinstall windows. and your DELL XP disk isnt going to install on a non dell machine.

Thought so to about having to format the hd. Plugged it in and it read just fine though. all I had to do was re-activate windows xp. which I did over the phone.

According to the manual the beeps I get refer to a power error. but 350w ought to be enough to drive what I have in. Pretty confused about it all and without having a bunch of spare parts laying around to swap out I am running out of ideas. Thanks for your response though.

What make is the Power supply? and how much is it putting out on the 12V + rail? ( you should be able to find this info on the side of the power supply)

also do you have both power connections attached to the Mobo? both the 20\24 pin AND the 4 pin connector that should plugin near the CPU?

Did your husband use standoffs when mounting the motherboard? These are small 1/4" high items that screw into te case. The motherboard then sits on top of these and you screw it into the installed standoffs. These standoffs are very important as they keep the motherboard from sitting on the metal case which will cause a short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back