Power-Supply & Video Card Upgrade difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my model:

Gateway 825GM - ( http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/4364/4364cl2.shtml )
P4 3.4Ghz ( 550 Chip )
2GB Ram
250 SATA 7200RPM HD
D915GSN: BTX Form Factor Motherboard
16X DVD-ROM
16X DVD+RW Dual Layer
Integrated Sound
Integrated 10/100/1000 NIC
7 USB 2.0 Ports ( 4 used )
1 IEEE1394 Port
ATI Radeon X300 SE ( PCI Express 16 ) 128MB Video < ---------
300 Watt Power Supply <--------

My question is about the two arrows above.

I want to upgrade to either an ATI X700 Pro or a nVidia 6600GT Video card as the ATI X300SE is the most basic PCIE card there is and acts like it. After a bunch of research i've pretty much figured out that my 300watt is not going to cut it. I bought a 500watt power supply from Gateway ( the maker of the PC ) after consulting with them and assured it would work..... it didn't. It had to be returned.

My question(s) are.....

What power-supply will do the job? and do I really need to upgrade the power- supply to get this card?

Ohhhh and one other question.... My DVD+RW is the Master and the ROM is the slave... will I get any performance boost if I reverse this? ( SATA HD is on a different channel ).

I am on a budget so anything over $225 including a new Power-Supply is simply out of the question. I am not a Serious Gamer but I do like to play some graphic-intensive games from time to time ( Splinter-Cell, GTA3, GTA Vice-City and soon GTA San Andreas ).

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE for a handy power supply wattage calculator.

Also, go HERE for a great article on psu`s.

Your final question regarding your dvd drives. I don`t think it will make any difference to your performance.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I came up with....

295 watts and I had to guess on the VideoCard as mine wasn't listed. ( I went low with a G4 MX440 64MB )

So I guess i'm at this point.....

I need to upgrade my Power-Supply Unit before I even consider looking at a Video-Card chipset/upgrade.

You'll have to forgive me but I have looked, researched, read reviews, read opinions on reviews, but have yet to figure out what a decent ( not looking for a screamer ) PSU constitutes nor why the one I purchased refused to work.

The only thing I can come up with is that the Gateway 825GM doesn't like a 500watt PSU. Would trying a 450 or 420 be worth the effort or should I just try to move up the Gateway Tech-Support food-chain until I reach a tech that speaks english as a 1st language and will make sure a certain PSU will work?

It seems that upgrading ones PC forces one to become a electrical engineer with a minor BA in ComputerScience...... ahhh the ole days. :angel:

I tell myself that, I'm not stupid but i'm just a tad behind the latest stuff.

Then reality sets' in and I realize that not only am I behind the latest stuff.... I only understand about 1/2 of if coming my way.

I guess it's payback for giving my Grandma crap about programming her BetaMax to record her soaps?

:wave:

A psu of around 450watts should be about right.

Something like the Antec Tru430 = $65 or Antec Trupower II "Trublue 2" 480w = $90

Enermax Noisetaker 420w ATX12v 2.1 = $75

These are just a few examples of whats available. You`ll find many more in the article I linked.

Regards Howard :D

It ain't broke but i'm looking to fix before it is......

Howard.

Apparently you are either stoned, drunk, wasted on eBay, or simply are not listening.....

I read the article you linked..... Scratched my head.... Called my Brother-in-law who has a PHD in CS....and here's a heads up dude! It's not written for the average guy.... that is looking for a solution to his average problem.

Want to trade? OKay.

I can give you the basic torque on an IO-360 engine but if you don't have the MF's i'll have to assume you have. Well the Propeller might just fall off.

Don't blame me if a propeller ( or other parts ) falls from the sky.

JM3 said:
My question(s) are.....

What power-supply will do the job? and do I really need to upgrade the power- supply to get this card?

Ohhhh and one other question.... My DVD+RW is the Master and the ROM is the slave... will I get any performance boost if I reverse this? ( SATA HD is on a different channel ).

I am on a budget so anything over $225 including a new Power-Supply is simply out of the question. I am not a Serious Gamer but I do like to play some graphic-intensive games from time to time ( Splinter-Cell, GTA3, GTA Vice-City and soon GTA San Andreas ).

I think I have already answered your questions.

The fact that the 500watt psu you recently got didn`t work only means that it was probably faulty to start with.

The bottom line is that you need a decent psu, with a wattage of about 450watts. You could go out and buy a cheap no name psu for just a few dollars, but I would not recommend you to do so. You would only be storing problems for a later date.

That is why I have recommended some good quality psu`s for you.

There is nothing really technical about replacing a psu. I only linked the article, in order to try and give you some insight as to why a good quality psu is important, and which psu`s to avoid.

For your information. I am neither stoned, nor drunk.

We here at Techspot give our time and efforts freely. If for whatever reason, you are not happy with the way you have been treated, then you are at liberty to either contact one of the Techspot moderators or go elsewhere.

I bid you a good day sir.

I see... offended

Really? So you just give advice willy-nilly even though you have no freakin idea what the hell you are talking about?

" We here at Techspot give our time and efforts freely ", Please.... get over yourself. In one year you have posted nearly 1900 times.... only a lonely loser would post that many times.... unless you're the Space-Pope ( see Futurama ) try going out.... meet women.... ask them to dance. :hotbounce

I was asking for the opinion of someone who knew what they were talking about.... not the opinion of some loser who craves acceptance... :darth:

>For your information. I am neither stoned, nor drunk.

>We here at Techspot give our time and efforts freely. If for whatever >reason, you are not happy with the way you have been treated, then you >are at liberty to either contact one of the Techspot moderators or go >elsewhere.

>I bid you a good day sir.

that was mean....

he likes asking questions and talking to other comp ppls... where do you get off by calling him a loser... Thats just wrong. I believe it is his right as a person to do what ever the hell he feels like doing so... back off! :mad:

yo jm3

did you ever get an answer to your query? I am asking because I am in the exact scenario :chef: "dont be a baby lady, just be a lady baby"

i have a 300 watt psu and i didnt have any problem running the radeon x700 video card along with dvd burner, cd reader, hard drive, and floppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back