Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell dimension 1100 tower. I was told that the power supply had gone and I purchased one from the U.S.A.( I live in the U.K.) I installed it and when I switched it on there was a very loud click, so I checked the power and I think that a fuse had blown in the power supply cable so replaced the fuse and the same thing happened again. Are there any fuses in the computor that might have blown or do you think that the power supply that I purchased is on a different voltage ie U.K. 240v and U.S.A. 110V?

Regards
Bob Prettyjohns

If it came from USA then it would be set to 110volts. Here in the UK we use 240volts. There is usually a switch on the back of the psu to set the voltage. It needs to be switched to 240 volts (or it may be called 220volts but its the same thing really).

If you are lucky it will be just the fuse, but it could just as easily have done more damage to both the psu and the mobo, ram, and cpu.

Are you proficient at using a soldering iron and a multimeter and do you have both?

The most common things to blow are the regulators and the rectifier diodes. If the regulators have blown then the psu and possibly mobo may be toast. If its just the rectifiers gone open circuit then replacing them may fix the problem.

I know a fair ammount about pc psu's so i will help you to find the fault if that's what you want to do.

As an example, the rectifier diodes blew in my psu about 2 and a half years ago. I bought 4 replacement 1n4001's costing a total of 16p and my psu is working fine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back