Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrtdy

hey i have recently purchased a geforce 8500gt graphics card and it didn't work so i posted it here, and they found the solution, it was the power supply and now i'm wondering is there anything i should look out for? i know that i should pay attention to the power supply if it supports pci express and the 20- or 24 pin molex connectors. is there anything else i should pay attention to? thanks!

-albert

The brand!
There are plenty of generic power supplies out there where the manufacturer just slaps on a random name and ships out for sale.
You need to get a PSU from a reputable manufacturer. To name a few: Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Cooler Master, Seasonic, FSP, Enermax, etc.
Thermaltake, FSP, and Cooler Master have some nice budget-priced units if you're not looking to spend too much.
I had a look at your other topic. Just make sure to pick a unit that produces the required output, and also to never buy an eMachine ever again. :)

Take a gander at the Powers Supply posts on this forum. There is one survey site that is very complete. I do not agree with all of it, but it does list a very large number of power supplies, with relative values. I don't have it handy. You will need to do a search for it.

ok, well i got another question, what is SATA? some power supplies say that its compatible with SATA. or something like that, does anyone know what that is? thanks!

SATA means Serial ATA (and ATA means Advanced Technology Attachment).
It is an interface found inside your computer, most commonly on modern hard drives. When a power supply says it is compatible with SATA, that just means it has power connectors for devices that use SATA.

ok thanks! and is there a way to check if any of my devices need SATA? so i don't buy a wrong kind and find out later that i needed it and dont have it? thanks!

Yes.

Take the side off of your computer case and take a look at your hard drives. If there is a thin black connector with 4 wires coming from it then you have a SATA hard drive. If your PC was made or put togeather in the last 2 years it will more than likley have a SATA hard drive. Also, even if you dont, having the SATA power on a PSU you buy isnt a bad thing because it will allow you to upgrade later on if need be.

Also about the PSU...For a 8800GT nvidia reccomends a PSU with 450 watts of power or more and minimum of 28 amps on the +12v. To find out the amp rating, just check out the lable on the side of the PSU, it is easy to understand even if you are not sure what you are looking at but remember, most PSU'S now a days have multiple +12v rails and will be labled +12v 1 +12v 2 +12v 3 ect. So you will need to add up the amps for for each rail. See the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...scription=SILVERSTONE+ST50F+500W+Power+Supply

If you look at the picture in the link above, in the lower left under "output" you will see that it has 2 +12v rails and below each it has a amp rating of 18a.

Ad the amperage togeather for the 2 +12v rails and it comes to 36amps which would be perfect for your situation.

Here is the actual link to that PSU for your reference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256037

wow thats really helpful thanks! lol but i was going for a 8500gt, but still the power supply u recommended is so affordable!! i mean i was looking at a lower psu unit, and it cost like more than that!! so i hope that overpowering a computer isn't a bad thing? :S

and since it can power a 8800gt , i can surly power a 8500gt! woo, thanks!

LoL

Sorry, thougt I read 8800 not 8500GT LoL....Well you can get away with a cheaper/lower wattage PSU, but that one is pretty good qaulity and will give you some headroom incase you do decide to upgrade to a video card with a little more spunk.

And no, you can not overpower a PC, you can only over compensate :D

This Is Better....

This one here would fit your needs better, its the same brand but has less wattage but the dang thing still has 36 amps !!!! And its only 49.99 with Free Shipping !!!!

Unless you plan of getting a 8800 series card (even though this would probably power one) this unit will do you just fine even with multiple hard drives, ROM-Drives and case fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256032

lbrtdy said:
... i hope that overpowering a computer isn't a bad thing? :S

As Jim adequately stated, there is no such thing as overpowering a computer.
When a power supply claims that (for example) it has 500 Watts, that means it is theoretically capable of a maximum power output of 500 Watts. That doesn't mean it is feeding your system with 500 Watts constantly! Your hardware will take what it needs to run, and most likely will not utilize the full potential of the PSU.
Purchasing a higher-spec'd power supply gives you more headroom for future upgrades.

Jimshady.....

That Silverstone does look like a goody. It' got 500 watts, active PFC, and 80% efficiency.
Mean AND green.

I would quarrell with that explanation as well. Few power supplies will provide a continuous 500 watt output. It is the amperage that matters, but a 500 Watt power supply will provide an instantaneous (theoretically) load up to 500 watts for the brief time that it is needed. The weak power supplies output dips and peaks all over the place. You can watch them fail on any good meter.

That's the "hold up time" spec. Yes, you should place much emphasis on the 12V rail current, "amps." specification.

It is unfortunate that they (the manufactures) tend to exaggerate about their wares....IE; will it "hold-up" for 16ms and then be rendered useless, or live to fight another day. That, unfortunately we have to find for ourselves.

ok i get it, well that power supply seems adequate to power my graphics card and still 36 amps!! wow very nice, ok! I am sold! thanks for your help!! I might be back later if i need like help installing it or something. Well peace out! thanks!

-albert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back