Power surge crippled my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello,

The other night there was a huge thunder storm and my houses electrisity cut out three or four times.

In the morning my pc didnt boot, the fans were spinning but no image appered on the screen. Easy problem to fix right? no image on screen means there isnt enough power for the gfx card. I simply unplugged a few drives and fans and the pc worked fine.

Oddly though, the pc (allthough it works) turns off randomly, also if i try and burn a cd the entire pc almost comes to a halt and after a good few minutes of very slow cd burning gives me a BSOD.

I also get random BSODs if the pc is under load.

I believe this is a simple power supply problem, but all the same, could other components have been damaged?

My PC:
OCZ Modstream 450W PSU 12V @ 26A
Amd64 3400+ S754
Abit NF8-V
1 x 1024MB + 1 x 512MB Crucial CL3 DDR400
Gainward 6800GT 256MB
Maxtor 40gb
Seagate 80gb
1 x LG dvdrom
1 x LG dvdrw

The psu is the most likely culprit but not the only one. If i were you i'd check all the caps on the mobo for doming and/or leakage.

Then i'd unplug all non essentials and see if it runs better like that.

Also buy a UPS since it is better to have one and not needing to use it than not have one and needing to use it.

It's your PSU, if still under warranty, RMA it saying "I don't know what happened, it one day just stopped working" - actually, anything but "I have no surgeboard and didnt unplug my pc during thunderstorm" will do...

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back