Power Toy(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeseven

I want to download Windows Media Player 9.0 Final from the Microsoft site but I noticed 'caution,Power Toy must be downloaded first'. It looks like Power Toy(s) consists of several 'tools'. Which Power Toy are thay talking about? all of them? Thanks

Power toys is a collection of utilities not "officially" supported by microsoft that have been around since win 95 I believe. I downloaded WMP 9 last night but didnt get anything about power toys when I did.

Sorry guys,I dont know how to show links. Go to MS front page,under 'downloads' it gives you a link to 'WMP 9 Final',go to 'release notes','installing the player',down at the bottom of that page is the 'caution notes'.

This is what that is refering to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player/readme.aspx#installing

Saving ratings and play counts
By default, ratings and play counts are stored in Media Library rather than in the digital media files themselves. Because the Media Library from the beta or release candidate version of Windows Media Player 9 Series is not saved when you upgrade to the final version of the Player, the ratings and play counts are not retained. To prevent this from occurring, download and run the Windows Media Player 9 Series Ratings Migration Power Toy. The Power Toy adds the ratings to your .wma and .mp3 files.

I think what that means is that if you had WMP9 beta or a RC version previously, then you would need to download that Power Toy in order to keep from losing ratings and play counts.

Thanks for the explanation. I've got version 8.0 so I wont need to download any Power Toy before I update to 9.0,right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back