Power up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, can anyone help with my power-up prob, Everytime i try to power up my PC i get an intermitent beep and nothing more, it was working fine untill i got my new laptop but now after three months not using it it has just frozen up.

If this is a brand name, go to their website on your laptop to see what their beep codes mean.

Since you have a beep, we can assume for now that your power supply is working.

If it has been put away or handled in a rigorous way, you could have loosened a cable or PCI card. If you are in a humid climate, you could have a little corrosion that might affect power or signal flow.
An aging cpu fan or cooling fan could have dried up enough to refuse to move. Turn manually and blow out the dust with canned air, not a vacuum cleaner or air compressor.
Then remove and re-seat all cables, plugs, and sockets. Remove and reseat all memory modules using plastic gloves or plastic bags as gloves.
Now retry after it has had a change to return to room temperature where it is 72 degrees. Wait one minute, then retry... do this three or four times.
If still not working, unplug the hard drive, and attempt a boot to a floppy boot disc for MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows, 98, or Windows ME.
Still not working, remove one memory module, still connecting to the floppy drive. Try again.
Still not working, trade out the memory module, and try once more.
At this point, if still not working, come back for a more intensive look at possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back