PRESCOT OR NORTHWOOD for a P4 cor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Swker98,
They are just about identical. The Prescott also know as Presshotttt.... because it runs hotter than the Norwood.
The Prescott is the newer design C.P.U.
Rick M.

Go Norwood if you can it is a lot better than Prescott if you ask me prescott is to hhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!! :hotbounce

Umm not really

Northwood dont offer a 1MB cache so that is the advantage for prescott. Any P4 runs hot, i have a prescott and i have no complaints. But thats just what i tihink

Sean

Prescott may have double the L2 cache, but keep in mind why:

The length of the pipelines is longer on the prescott, which means it takes it longer to perform the same instruction as a northwood. In essence, a northwood at the same clock speed is faster than a Prescott because it is harder for the Prescott to keep those pipelines full. Prescott MUST have the extra cache in order to keep those pipelines busy.

At 3.0/512/800 and 3.0/1M/800, the northwood will come out on top in nearly all cases.

i just exchanged my notrhwood 2.8/533 and ddr333 with a prescott 3/800, and the heat difference is noticable. the northwood ran at about 86 deg. F. even with my excellent airflow the prescott ran at around 115 deg. F. intel chips have a long history or good thermal charachteristics so i'm not really concerned about a bit more heat. my system performance has improved, however.

86 Degrees at Idle?

zephead said:
i just exchanged my notrhwood 2.8/533 and ddr333 with a prescott 3/800, and the heat difference is noticable. the northwood ran at about 86 deg. F. even with my excellent airflow the prescott ran at around 115 deg. F. intel chips have a long history or good thermal charachteristics so i'm not really concerned about a bit more heat. my system performance has improved, however.

My Northwood is at 122 degree Fahrenheit when I'm playing FarCry! I'm using the stock HSF at the moment.

My Athlon64 is at 26C when idle with the cpu fan turned off. It'd be even cooler if I let the cpu fan stay on.

:D

At fulll load it rises to a pleasent 39 C

If you had a P4, I'd asl what HSF you use. Well, maybe they make a good one for the P4 as well - what HSF do you use?

100% Opposite. Starting with the Northwood, the P4 has been the hottest chip on the market.

AMD's chips are actually using less power then they used to, whereas Intel's continue to consume more and more. The Smithfield core from Intel is supposed to burn an incredible 130W. Hopefully we will start to see more of the P-M technology put into P4s so that power useage will actually go down.

Although VIA has both Intel and AMD beat in terms of power, AMD is stomping Intel for desktop processor power consumption.

i've got onboard fan control and most of the time the fans are stopped or running at very low speeds. when i play bf 1942 they go on but never wind up to full rev, just stay below 300 rpm. does anyone remember the cyrix 6x86? :haha:

I own many cyrix chips, including the 6x86. And I think you mean 3000rpm, because the lowest speed for 9xx series boards is well above 300rpm. I believe it starts at 600rpm for "slowest" speed and scales from there up to 4000.

Hello,
I have an Intel P4 3.0Ghz.Prescott with stock fan and the temps are 35C /97F.
I built this system myself. 2 weeks ago I did not have the time to fiddle around and build a system so I went out and bought on of those 3.2 Ghz.Sony VAIO units for $1149.00 just for the tower,keyboard and mouse.
The CPU temp was running at 136F at idle... I took it back and bought the water cooled RG840 3.4Ghz. Sony VAIO for $1800.00 and the temps were pretty toasty on that system that too. I took it back, built this system and it is running pretty cool with just a stock fan. Same CPU as the Sony junk boxes. This custom built system run's faster on boot up etc.etc.
Rick M

Soul Harvester said:
And I think you mean 3000rpm, because the lowest speed for 9xx series boards is well above 300rpm.
i see where you'd get that idea, but i have a 478 pin prescott and an 865 chpiset, not a 9xx. intel d865perl board, to be exact.

I've built about 250 machines using the D865PERL

Pretty sure they can't idle that low. But it's been a few months.

perhaps you're thinking of an older board revision, i just got a replacement board (latest revision) and have just recently added said fans.

And they idle at 300RPM? CPU Fan included? What, exactly, are you using to verify the speed of these fans, because I checked today on one of my PERL boards with the latest BIOS, and it cannot even register a fan spinning at 300RPM, it says it isn't spinning at all.

i get these readings from active monitor, and the cpu fan doesn't change from around 2500 (as far as i have noticed). i think 300 RPM is a transitional speed, only active for short periods of time as the system fans go to full rev or shut off. my bios version is the P15, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back