Prescott Si!...... Cedar Mill Meh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincranky

I ordered a Foxconn Mobo from Newegg; 945P7AA-8KS2 LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel. Link>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186070

This board is listed as being suitable for Pentium D, Pentium 4, and Celeron D "Prescott" processors.
I do know that some, if not most of the processors that Foxconn lists as being checked out with this board are 64 bit CPUs. However, Foxconn's web site doesn't list them by number, (only speed), I am left with the question, will I be able to use my Celeron D 356 (Cedar Mill 65 nm) with the board?

The board was almost cheap enough not to matter, ($35.00 USD (less than half price)), still I could build a comp for my kid with just a few more parts.

So, what is everybody's best guess?

I (accidentally) turned this into an emergency.....

Last night I managed to trash my Intel DG965WH in a major BIOS updating accident. So......
I went to Foxconn's website to further investigate their CPU compatibility charts for the 945P7AA-8KS2, which I am hoping to receive tomorrow along with a "Pentium Dual Core E2200" CPU, (Newegg is calling this an "Allendale" core). Anyway, the reason I attempted the update on the 965 was Intel showed a very recent (December) BIOS update as being necessary for compatibility with the 2200 CPU.
Anyway, Foxconn shows a fairly long list of 945P board revisions, (945P7...AC..AD and other letter suffix strings (different models?)), the newer of which they allege are C2D ready, along with a BIOS update which fixes "Vista won't install". God knows, I don't want to install Vista, nor do I want to attempt a BIOS flash anytime soon, but I was curious if anybody thought that these updates might also enable Multi-core compatibility.

I'm thinking that the CPU lists simply haven't been updated anytime recently, since the board is listed as discontinued, (including the revisions). So, if anybody has any additional scrap of knowledge, I would be deeply appreciative.

The motherboard manual for your mobo lists only Pentium 4 CPUs as compatible but oddly enough, it also lists that maximum FSB supported is upto 1066MHz. However, even with a BIOS update I doubt the E2200 would work, since it's a very new CPU. If it were an E6300 or an E4300, it might have worked but I don't think the relatively newer E2200 will work.

1066....AD.., Wasn't That The Battle of Hastings...?

Yeah, the Intel "Extreme" P4 (3.73) Ghz has (had) a 1066FSB. Who knew? Bet that baby could give off some heat.

I think I'm going to try getting the board up and running with the Cele for now. I have enough stuff from the 965 disaster to get a computer out of the board, save for a copy of Windows. I hope, (as Techspot reported), they're going to continue selling XP until June '08.

Do you have any ideas as to a mainstream board for the E2200, something with the Intel ICH8 and 3100 onboard graphics? Another chipset idea (with onboard graphics)?

Many thanks much for your help on this issue!

Yep, That Little Jewel Is a Humdinger......!

I may order one of those this week! Thanks!

Duh-p-date......
I got my stuff yesterday, and built/repaired the box with the Foxconn Mobo. The Celeron works dandy! I installed the system drive and lo and behold Windows also works like a charm! The first notice I got from it was "the express BIOS update failed"! Yeah, no s*** Sherlock. Xp was very accommodating and installed the LAN driver and whatnot! However, it's telling me in no uncertain terms that that was pretty much it's last official act, "Your System Has Changed Significantly.... 3 Days to re-activate....... I hope it'll take the key with the new board, I guess we'll see. I'll Probably have to call Redmond-slash-Islamabad and beg for dear life. Somehow the GT7600 got trashed in the process. Well, the EVGA 7600GT is actually less than an OEM copy of XP Media Center, so I guess it's true what they say..... The more you break, the more you save! (LOL)

Gigabyte offers an express BIOS update! (an .exey ) I'm really looking forward to trying that!

Thanks again, Yours Truly, captaincranky

The Final Cut...... Adding Insult to Injury.....

In furtherance of an attempt to ruin my good spirits, Intel soldered their self-trashing EPROM to the board, while the working fine, thank you very much, Foxconn "Phoenix Award BIOS" is a plug in. Rude I tell you. (LOL)

Thanks Shipmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back