Prescott vs. Northwood! And the winner is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have been collecting components to build my first scratch-built box. My goal is to use this machine for graphics processing (not gaming), mostly using Adobe products... a high-powered digital darkroom/studio, if you will. This is what I have so far:
- Ultra Wizard ATX case
- Ultra X-Finity 600 W power supply
- eVGA e-GeForce 7800 AGP video card
- ThermalTake Big Water 745 Liquid Cooling System (probably overkill for this system, but I always wanted to try liquid cooling).
- DVD burners, Serial-ATA hard drive, etc...
- Soyo SY-P4i865PE DRAGON 2 Plus v1.0
- (still shopping for memory, but looking OCZ PC3200 2 GB kit with Platinum heat spreaders)

My question involves the processor...

The mobo is a Socket 478 capable of handling a 3.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB P4 Prescott (or Northwood, of course). I have done alot of Googling and have found many articles from early-mid 2004 stating that the Prescott is more geared to "future" applications. As the numbers at that time showed, there was not much benefit to the Prescott, and in fact, the Northwood processor of the same specs did slightly better in many areas.

Well, the future is here (sorry to sound so cliche) and I am wondering if those articles I read bore any truth. In other words, for a Socket 478 mobo capable of a handling a Prescott-core processor in 2007, does the Prescott handle modern applications better than the Northwood? Is the excessive heat produced and unimpressive numbers (as reported back in 2004) by the Prescott worth it for a 2007 machine and applications?

And yes, I already realize that I should probably switch to a more modern motherboard, processor, and memory, but that will be for my second scratch-built machine.

Thanks for any input any of y'all might have!!!

~ Fuzzy

The prescott is better (But not for OCing) it has HT (Some NW do) and more Cache (sometimes) but it really doesnt matter if both have HT and same cache size.

Northwood is 130nm
Prescott is 90nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back