Pretty big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i have windows 2000 professional on my computer and installed redhat 9 recently. I used the grub bootloader and everything was fine. Well yesterday i went and uninstalled and deleted all the partitions pertaining to linux so that i had just windows left, not thinking about that bootloader. Now when i start my computer it instantly goes to the grub bootloader and dosn't give me a chance to do anything else. Once a screen comes up i cant do anything. Any help?

You sure Grub doesn't let you get into a "menu" or "setup" of sorts? To manage installations?

You may have to go into Recovery Console and run the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands to get 2000 to take the bootloader back. I know those are on XP. Not sure if 2000 has a Recovery Console where you can run those fixers!

However, I'm not a big Linux person so I don't know exactly what you should do. But don't panick, I don't think it will be that hard to fix once you get a Linux dude to read this.

cheers.

i have a command prompt for grub, but i cant do anything because the linux kernel is gone and no command will work. i get no menus no nothing.

I had the same problem once.
Don't you have a booklet on Redhat?
I believe you have to type this, but I'd have to check (later):
chainloader +1 (loads first sector on hard disk containing win2000)
boot (boots that one)

Of course you have to change this from happening again, but I don't know how I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back