preventing spam

This will seem like a dumb question, but here goes anyhow. I am leaving the country in November for six weeks and wondered how to prevent the spam I receive daily whilst I am gone. Sometimes I have as many as 75 spams. It would be awful to come home and have to clean them out after being gone that long. Short of disconnecting my computer, is there any other way to prevent this. Will putting it in hibernation do it? I would surely appreciate any advice!

As in email spam? You are pretty much screwed, you can only increase the amount, you can never decrease. Filters can be used, preferably on the server end, to prevent the mail from actually hitting your inbox but thats something your ISP would need to implement since you can't do that yourself.

You can get a spam filter for whatever email client you are using, that can redirect spam to another folder or delete it so you don't have to deal with it, unfortunately its not perfect and if you still have to actually download the email message which sucks if you are on dialup.

Back