Previewing video clips in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Is this possible, is it supposed to be avaiable? What I'm talking about is like when you single click on a .jpg it pops up a little preview in the left column of the active window. When I ran a beta of ME it had this feature but the released version of ME didn't, or at least I didn't know how to make it happen. When I was telling this to someone they said "oh, like you can in 2k?" and I've never seen this in ANY microsoft OS outside of that beta of ME I had. I think its probably possible for media clips like it is for image files. Can someone tell me how to make this happen?

I am not sure exactly how it works, but it has something to do with the MEDIA button in your IE bar. I have gotten it to work a few times on accident for me, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it again.

You can preview video clips in explorer windows in XP by using the "thumbnail" view... Is this what you mean??

no rusty, I want to preview them in the left hand column like this:
preview.jpg

In the bottom left of the window under Details.

you just need to stop watching that XXX stuff before you need glasses. :haha:

With women like that, why do you want to just preview it?? Surely they deserve the full resolution of your monitor...:D ;)

Seriously though - Ive got XP and it works for me...Just clicking on a picture file (jpeg etc) or movie file, and it pops up under details like in your screenshot...Doesn't it work for you??

P.S. It wont work under "thumbnail view"...

I want it for videos, it already works for picture files. Is this possible or not? And no I do not want to even touch that thumbnail view.

It works for video/movie files for me too (as well as picture files)...

Is there a particular type of video file it wont work with? Or is it all of them?

Have you got Windows Media Player installed?
I ask that because ive noticed what WMP can play explorer will display (hey - i'm a poet:p )

wow - quick reply!!!

Did you notice if it worked on WMP before version 9?? Im using version 8...

Are you using WMP 9 to view your movie files (defualt player)??
I must admit im guessing though, if this is the cause..

No, didn't work ever, not ever at all, only worked with ME beta 2. Yes WMP9 is default player, and so was 8 when it didnt' work with 8.

Do you actually play the videos with WMP 9 or use like DivX Player or something like that?

You want the thumbnail to be in the Details tab...hmm...

I think I got it. Move the folder with the videos in it into the My Pictures folder. If the thumbnail displays in the Details tab there, but not anywhere else, than simply right click and copy My Pictures - delete everything in the copy - rename the folder to the folder name that originally had your videos in it - and move all your videos in there. This works for me.

Thats strange - because it works perfectly on mine - although it does take a while to show the preview (while it loads it up).
Have you tried fiddling with:- VIEW > CHANGE DETAILS ? Although i couldn't see an option there for preview or anything similar...

I'm sorry, but other than that ive drawn a blank:confused:

Ahhh - sorry ive just realised that "DETAILS" meant details in the actual explorer window... ooops...

view change details only changes what you can see as a column when in detail view, doesn't seem to have anything to do with previewing.

Veh - that runon sentence lost me :confused:

Ah, I think maybe you guys are misunderdstanding what I mean, and I see how you could have easily have done this. Now I think that its not possible.
In WindowsME Beta2 that I ran, if I clicked once on a mp3 file or any native windows media format I could hit play and watch it in that little "details" window.
I can see the first frame of the video now when single clicking, but what I wanted to be able to do was watch it in the details portion of the active window.

Ahhhhhhhh - Sorry, i thought you just wanted to see a preview (first frame)....

No - that don't work for me...

In fact ive never seen it...

Would be cool though..
Looks like Microsoft got rid of that feature...:(

Yeh its too bad they did, I wonder if it can be "unlocked" somehow. It didnt' appear to be buggy when it worked in that beta release, wonder why its gone?
Possibly its in the registry somehow.

Now that's a whole nother deal!

There could possibly be something you can download to implement this. It should be a PowerToy. I don't think it's possible with Windows XP now - dunno why, but I've never seen it before.

I'll try to see if I can find anything, and I'll post back here.

Doubt its a powertoy thats avaiable from microsofts servers because I thought I had them all... I imagine that its possible somehow, but since probably there were very few people that ran that beta - nobody ever complains about losing that feature.

Works for me in the "Show as webpage" preview in explorer folders, but not for *.wmv. Works for *.mpg and *.avi. It attempts to open *.mov files but doesn't manage to play them.

mp3s open up in preview for listening to as well...

Hey guys check this out. 2k does it!

I installed 2k on my parents machine at the beginning of this month, and this is the first time I've been back since then and able to play with it. Now as I was browsing around inside the directories it appears that Windows2000 does precisely what I've been describing. I am attaching some screenshots to directly illustrate what I'm trying to do, hopefully this will help some of you that are still confused understand what I want.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Now if good old Windows 2000 Professional can do it, there is a pretty good chance WindowsXP Professional can do it as well.

Note: In derek.mpg on my screen you can actually see the first frame of the video and play it, but unfortunately I don't know how to screen shot something thats being played by WMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back