Print Server and Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Huey

I purchased a Netgear PS101 print server to share my printer with my home network utilizing a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I installed the Print server software and connected it to my router via hard line. The problem is when I go into my Linksys Router to set up the printer I can't see where to define the IP for the printer.

The Print server software doesn't see it either. What am I missing here? Or could it be that my printer is not capable of using the printer server (Epson Stylus C62).

You are trying to configure it from the wrong place. I don't know how that print server can be configured, but the router is the last place to try.

You might need to use some special software to give it an IP/configure or maybe it wants to use DHCP to get an IP and will provide you with a web interface.

You an see from your router config the existing IP addrsses that have been given out. If you see something besides your own computers then that is most likely the print server.

Try a Software print server...

you can configure many types of settings within a software print server. We always tell our clients to move away from anytype of "hardware" print server. There are quite a few out there, I'd recommend using RPM from Brooks. You can check it out at http://www.brooksnet.com/printserver.html and you'll be able to do what you need.

Call their tech support in any case and they are pretty good about getting you up and running, with or without RPM.

Good luck!

Frank

Mistake

I was under the impression that the print server allowed me to hard wire the printer directly to the router as a stand alone entity. This allowed me to not have to share it via another desktop. Was this not true? Previously it was shared through the desktop but I was never able to see it on the laptop.

I had it shared and everything but when I went to the laptop to find it, it never showed up. I tried Network places, add networrk printer search and even IP list and nothing. It's strange because I can see individually shared folders.

You hook the printserver up to your router, and the printer into the printserver.
The Netgear CD has all the required software for the installation of what will be a network-printer. You have to install the PS-software on all PCs/Laptops that want to use that printer.
From then on, any PC/Laptop can use the printer without having to have another PC switched on.
I use the same setup, except I have the PS110 for 2 printers.

realblackstuff said:
You hook the printserver up to your router, and the printer into the printserver.
The Netgear CD has all the required software for the installation of what will be a network-printer. You have to install the PS-software on all PCs/Laptops that want to use that printer.
From then on, any PC/Laptop can use the printer without having to have another PC switched on.
I use the same setup, except I have the PS110 for 2 printers.

To date, I've loaded the PS software on the computer on the computer that acts as the administration machine for the router. But when I go to configure it, it does not show any available printers.

Here is what I did:

1. Ensured everything was powered off when I connected the PS to the parallel port on the printer.

2. Connected the lan cable with the PS and the router.

3. Powered up PS & printer & router and computer.

4. Installed Netgear software.

5. Inititated printer install but no printer recognized.

6. Went into Linksys router utility to see if the printer showed .... nothing!

7. Searched network places....nothing

I'm fairly certain my error was at the router and not the print server. I need to have the router recognize the PS as an IP assigned item but this is where I'm lost. I'm going to review the router documentation again to see if I missed anything but any suggestions woudl be appreciated.

The network places is useless. The print server + printer are not a "network" device in Windows sense. In Windows the printer attached to the print server will be installed as a local printer attached to a special port. (Actually IMHO Network Places is usless in any use, but that's MHO)

The print server should obtain an IP address from the DHCP ón the router. If you can't see the printserver in the assigned IP list then you have a networking problem. Check the cable and link between devices (you have pretty green LEDs for that). Make sure you don't have any security restrictions for the DHCP. Restart the print server/router.

You can assign an IP address manually to the printserver. Read the manual.

Try a direct connection between the printserver and your computer. It seems that you can use both crossover and straight cables with that device.

On your computer turn off any software firewalls until you get everything working.

Hope this helps

Baby Huey said:
I purchased a Netgear PS101 print server to share my printer with my home network utilizing a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I installed the Print server software and connected it to my router via hard line. The problem is when I go into my Linksys Router to set up the printer I can't see where to define the IP for the printer.

The Print server software doesn't see it either. What am I missing here? Or could it be that my printer is not capable of using the printer server (Epson Stylus C62).

I am really new here but what I did to get my print server to work is the following:
1- Made sure my print server was not plug up yet then open up my routers config. page ie. 192.168.x.x.
2- Took inventory of all the ip addresses that were presently in service.
3- Plugged up my print server to router; make sure all the lights on the print server are active.
4- Configured my print servers ip section to auto. ( I had tried to manually configure the ip address with no success).
5- Referred back to my routers config page to see what had been added. Note: I had to refresh the page to notice any changes.
6-Use the newly added ip for my ip printing address when I "add printer".
7- Unchecked the "que server name"
8- Entered "lp1" as my que name
8- Selected my printer type ie. hp 750
9- Added the printer.
I hope this helps you. Good luck & let me know if this helped.

Something I realized a little later is if your print server doesn't show up on your router's web page try unplugging the power to the print server and re-plugging it up. Make sure you have paid close attention to the ip addresses that were listed before. Usually the one that is new to the router's web page is the print server.

Baby Huey said:

Here is what I did. I have a Netgear FR114P (Router with Print Server)... To work with Windows XP.

First... install LPR Print Services.
Control Panel->Add Remove Windows Components->Other Network File and Print

Services->Details->Print Services for Unix

Second... Go to add new printer
Select "Local Printer" and hit next

Select Create New Port, and select "LPR" as the type of port to create,
A popup window will prompt you for the IP address of the print server and the name of the printer attached to it.

The default for the netgear is 192.168.0.1, you can type any text you want for the printer name.

The next screen will prompt you for the driver for your printer. Select it if it exists... otherwise you will have to provide a location for it... the rest of the process is the same as adding any other printer.

Related but different problem - Help please...

I am trying to install a Linksys WPS54GU2 to my home network. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G as my access point/router. The printer I'm trying to share is a Lexmark 6170 all-in-one. I use 64 bit WEP encryption. Here's what I've done:
1. Hooked up PS per instructions (and yes, I did RTFM);
2. Powered up the PS;
3. Ran set-up wizard using PC/Administrator;
4. PS was recognized on the network and I was able to change passwords and make necessary encyption changes;
5. Hit Save setting buttons in Set-up Wizard and get "attempt failed-device not found" from the wizard!
6. Installed BIAdmin Utility from CD;
7. Ran utility. PS located on network but when I want to save any changes, I get "network busy or device not found" message;
8. Ran web-based utility. PS located on network but when I try to save any changes, utility freezes up.

I checked all through the manual and could not find anything that would help.

Anyone have any suggestions? I hope I don't have a $150 paperweight on my hands.

rm5550

I had problems with my linksys print server working with Vista which is the operating system on my wife's computer. My computer has XP on it and I simply used my computer to configure the print server. After I did that I loaded the software for the computer on both of the computers and it worked with out a problem. I am having difficulties with Window's 2000 but it is on my work computer and I don't do much printing with it.

I hope this helps. I was going to buy a different print server but with this easy fix it is not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back