Printer connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am incharge of a small network of about 14 computers. All the computers on the network, can access the network printer, save for one of them. When i ping the printer, there is communication between the two. However, when i try to add it, in the list of printers, it shows no connection. I need help.

Did you add the printer to the other computers too or were they configured before?

How are the other computers accessing the network printer? Via SMB or JetDirect (TCP/IP)?

Network Printer Help answered

click on start
click on run
type: \\print server name
look at the list and find your printer you want to connect to
right click on the printer then on connect this should work

Otherwise open printers then select local printer then select TCP port and type the printer IP address in to try to conect to the printer that way..

tipstir said:
type: \\print server name
This doesn't work with JetDirect, does it? Read the threads before you reply..

Tinah: Looks like you found one of the ultimate idiocies in Windows. :)

In Windows world, a "network printer" is actually a local printer that is shared by a computer. In order to install a true network printer (JetDirect), you have to install a local printer...

Do you know how to install JetDirect printers?

Go to add a printer. Select local, no scanning. Create a new TCP/IP port. Put in the printer IP. Select and install the printer driver.

If you have done that and the printer still shows no connection, check the printer properties and see if there is a setting for SNMP status. Also, make sure you haven't set the printer to offline :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back