Printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Printer sharing

Hi I am new to this, so please be patient with me?
First I am an electronic engineer, I have built two computers and each computer has its own printer.
I have installed a Linksys EtherFast cable DSL Router to gain access to the WWW.
I have used a hard wire (RJ45) as the communication medium between each computer and the Router.
I now wish to be able to print to either printer from either computer.
I have set both printer software to share, but I am unable to see the other printer on the network?

All advice and guidance most welcomed.

if you go to start -> run then enter the ip adress of the computer eg. \\192.168.1.1 then click on. the printer shared on that computer should be there.

when adding the shared printer to the computer select the network printer option and on the next page chose the second option "connect to this printer" and in the text box type \\"ip address"\printer share name

if necessary a password will appear.

How to create a Printer Server using 2 PCs and 2 Printers

Smart way to do this is, just turn one of those PCs you have into a print server. You don't have to install any server software. That's how I do it. Why because its better to control more than one PC from one source. If you have more than one USB 1.1/2.0 on these PCs you're built then use them to connect these printers.

On the PC2 that will act as a print server you can see them under printer and faxs, then you can share them out from there so that other PCs on your workgroup can use them.

click on Try the above once you do, do this from the other PC1 that you want to connect to the two printer from:

click on start
click on run
type: \\computer name or ip address of the PC2 that acts as your print server

once you do that above you should see the two printers you have shared out. Now one printer 1, right click on the printer then click on connect, this would setup the printer 1 on your PC1, repeat this process for printer 2.

You're all done, test to see the results... I do this at work everyday I know others do it a different way, but I taught executve admin to do it this way so when they want to share their printers to their VP or CEO.

Also if you ever had drivers issues or printers not printing, do the following:

click on start
click on run
type: services.msc
scroll down for print spooler
hightlight the print spooler
right click on print spooler then click on restart

click on start
click on printers and faxes (if you don't see it listed goto the control panel)
click on file
click on print server properties (pc2 that acts as a print server)
you can configure ports and remove drivers that have got corrupted

WELL
What can I say, but many thanks for the help in solving my problem, I will put the advice into practice.

Again many thanks to both of you.

Martin

fundament requirement is to enable Print/File Sharing on BOTH firewalls;
eg: allow ports 139,445 tcp/udp from all LAN addresses (only).
A print server is just extra work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back