1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Fortnite streamer now legally required to stream with his mom

By mongeese · 32 replies
Jun 9, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. “Okay, I’m back, I’m streaming on YouTube. My Twitch account was suspended due to me being underage. And yes, I am 12," Patrick said. "I only lied so I could fulfill my dream of being a streamer. It has been my dream for a long time, and I worked for a year and a half for it. I’m sorry that I lied.”

As part of YouTube’s rules, which are a result of federal guidelines, Patrick’s mother is now required to actively supervise him in all videos. It doesn’t appear to have tarnished his reputation, however, as he already has 900,000 subscribers.

In addition to Twitch, Epic Games has also taken action against Patrick. He’s been kicked off the leaderboards (a bit harsh, really) and banned from entering tournaments until he’s thirteen, as per Epic Games’ policy. Over the past year, he’s won $5,000 in prizes from the Winter Royale and Blackhead Cup tournaments.

It’s unclear if anything will happen to Faze, who knowingly lied about his age to enter him in tournaments. They do appear to keen to keep a hold of him, though. And regarding Patrick, while I’m not condoning the illegal behavior – I do admire his spunk.

Permalink to story.

2. kmo911

kmo911 TS Enthusiast Posts: 97   +8

3. Catweazle

Catweazle TS Booster Posts: 65   +63

PEGI ratings have nothing to do with Twitch's or Youtube's age rules, and what country are you in where you can legally drive a car at 12 and you're considered an adult at 13? I've never heard of such a place.

Ludak021, Burty117, trgz and 7 others like this.
  4. ghostf1re

ghostf1re TS Guru Posts: 407   +260

Yeah I don't understand what country allows this, if it's even true.

Ludak021, trgz and TempleOrion like this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,263   +4,931

Gotta admit I'm sitting on a fence with this. I don't know which side I want to take. I personally don't see how they can do this if the parents are fine with allowing their kid to play. Especially if it doesn't get them in trouble with the law. Then there is: how can a game company be held responsible, while overlooking the parental responsibility? But the reason I am on a fence is the vulgarity, we as adults use as we think gaming online is our playground. So in a sense it is our fault kids can't play games that should be designed for them. After all most of them legally can't work until they are of age. Yet the game we play are the only games that compel them, while they can't legally work to pass their time.

While I think kids should be allowed to play games. They shouldn't be allowed to play games with our bad habits. It is our fault they are paying the price.

TempleOrion and Khanonate like this.
  6. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Booster Posts: 146   +32

I'm guessing Alpha Centauri.

7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,456   +620

Legally drive at 12 please post proof or I call shenanigans

trgz, TempleOrion and TheBigT42 like this.
  8. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,804   +664

Oh the poor kid. Boo Hoo. Let him eat sand

9. amstech

amstech IT Overlord Posts: 2,175   +1,354

Streaming popularity will fade like the wind over time, its a trend like 3DTV.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    TempleOrion, psycros and tkabou like this.
  10. cliffordcooley

@amstech, I know I don't understand. I can't sit watching others play. I might check them out to see what a game is like for a few minutes. Then I either want to play myself or I am not interested at all.

tkabou and Goamist like this.
  11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 2,496   +514

I know you can drive around on a farm at a very young age in the USA. The stream min age thing probably originated to protect children from godawful people.

lexster likes this.
  12. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,144   +836

But the important question:

Is his mom hot and can her presence help his channel?

Ludak021, lipe123 and Godel like this.
  13. cliffordcooley

You never know. This could be a start for her to get her own channel.

Ludak021 likes this.
  14. lexster

lexster TS Addict Posts: 277   +135

Both the United States and Canada have allowances to issue 12, 13 and 14 year old's limited drivers licenses. This is usually in farming situations and applications. For example, with such a license, use of a vehicle is not permitted on federal highways. The laws and restrictions vary from area to area, but it is allowed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Ludak021 and TempleOrion like this.
  15. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Evangelist Posts: 1,062   +186

Good to see media sites, keeping some under age people in check.
    Forcing the parents to do it correctly or just not use the service at all while being legally terminated.

wiyosaya likes this.
  16. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,249   +3,666

"I only lied so I could fulfill my dream of being a streamer. It has been my dream for a long time, and I worked for a year and a half for it. I’m sorry that I lied.”
    Sorry but a simple apology doesn't cut it. Make him return all rewards, money, etc. he gained illegally and ban him until he is of legal age (18 in most states). A slap on the wrist dosen't teach him anything more than you can break the rules and get away with it with another lie that he's sorry. We'll never stop this kind of behavior until the penalties are severe enough to stop it and if it dosen't stop, increase the penalties until they do. It's as simple as Pavlov's dogs ......

17. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,820   +2,173

As I see it, there are plenty of other games that a kid, wanting or needing to pass time, can play other than computer games.

TempleOrion likes this.
  18. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 790   +317

Illegally?
    He earned those awards by being better than others, what a load of horse dung this whole thing is. His age had nothing to do with his skill.

As long as he has parental consent who the hell cares? It's not like fortnite is a violent graphic gory game.
    We're perfectly fine with countries that have strong gymnastics and ballet teams start children at 6-9 years old in the sports and work them like slaves. They compete in massive international competitions by 12-14 but goodness some kid is not allowed to stream a game from his own home?

19. wiyosaya

He lied. There needs to be consequences for lying.

20. Ravalo

Ravalo TS Member Posts: 47   +12

“In addition to Twitch, Epic Games has also taken action against Patrick. He’s been kicked off the leaderboards (a bit harsh, really) and banned from entering tournaments until he’s thirteen”

So... fortnite is now pegi 13?

trgz likes this.
  21. Ravalo

Ravalo TS Member Posts: 47   +12

T(he)y be(lie)ve(d)

22. wiyosaya

How does that saying start? "Fool me once, shame on you"

And you would like to be proofed every time you sign up for something like this?

An advocate of enforcement measures rather than, gasp, honesty?

23. MonsterZero

MonsterZero TS Evangelist Posts: 552   +300

Damn kid, I hope you have some more dreams left over when Fortnite goes belly up. You worked a year and a half for a dream? Life is going to show up at your door real soon.

Ludak021, trgz and Drew Valadez like this.
  24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 14,779   +3,906

Mr. (?) @kmo911 isn't in any particular "country", he's actually in his "own little world". A world where coherence of both thought and English syntax and sentence structure are apparently forever banned.

However, I think age restrictions may be reduced in such places as family farms, where a vehicle, (the family tractor ?), may be operated by the young, but only on private property.. Not sure about that, and not up for the research though, sorry.

Arguably, the Hebrew traditions of Barmitzvah and Batmitzvah place male and female children as "adults" at the age of 13. I doubt those traditions have any bearing on how those "grownups" are dealt with in the secular world.

EDIT; There is no age requirement or driver's license necessary for driving Amish horse and buggy rigs on Pennsylvania roads.

Unfortunately, Amish children aren't allowed anywhere near video gaming devices. They're "the work of the devil". It's also interesting how many people in the secular world are starting to agree with that sentiment. :rolleyes:

Here's a PDF buggy driving manual by PennDOT:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/PubsForms/Publications/PUB 632.pdf

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  25. lexster

lexster TS Addict Posts: 277   +135

First, spellcheck is your friend, try it sometime.
    Second, Was he cheating? Did he fake his performance in those games? No? So what you're saying is you want to be brutally harsh because he didn't state his correct age to a system that is flawed and biased to begin with?

Think that over for a moment...

Really let it sink in...

The best solution isn't harsh punishment for a minor offense that did no harm to anyone. That is short-sighted thinking for tyrants. The best solution is to fix the system so that those who have skill can participate as long as a responsible parent/guardian is involved.

Catweazle and lipe123 like this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...