prob with nvidia 6600gt graphics card..need help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avik

i bought the nvidia 6600gt (pixelview) graphics card about 3 weeks back.i have installed it correctly but the prob i am having is if i play games like farcry,age of empires3,nfs most wanted...the graphics just gets totally crazy ,..missing textures and then freezes.
for nfs mostwanted it froze and it said that the display driver got disabled.then a blue screen came saying the device got into an infiinte loop.

i have installed new drivers for both the graphics card as well as the motherboard but the prob still persists

motherboard:sis651
cpu:intel pentium 4 2.67ghz
my power supply is 200W with 2 hdd attached.

i wud really appreaciate the help.

Hello there, and welcome to techspot.

The good news is, your problem is likely easily fixed, with a new power supply. 200W just isn't enough power for your new graphics card. You should be up in the 300-350W range.

The other good news is, this kind of power supply is cheap, and easy to install.

Here is a very good quality 350W psu for $30.00. It has over 30amps on the 12v rails which will keep you system very happy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103515

(I am assuming you have a motherboard/case that will accept a standard ATX PSU)

i had the same problem with farcry when i got it. pieces of the ground would appear black or not even appeare. i filed an rma and got it sent back and the same problem appeared. i heard about updates to farcry so i installed all the updates for far cry. it finally worked. so just search for farcry updates. also the recomended power supply is at least 350w for the 6600gt so buy one of that size but i sugest a larger one.

i heard about updates to farcry so i installed all the updates for far cry. it finally worked. so just search for farcry updates. also the recomended power supply is at least 350w for the 6600gt so buy one of that size but i sugest a larger one.

Ok that might be true, but remember his problem involves more then just farcry games. PSU is your prob, as everyone pointed out, and 350W is recommend minimum! One thing to remember is, if you buy a generic crappy the label wattage is peak and the power available is only 70% of that at best. So you'd need a 350W/0.7=500W. Food for thought. Still a gen crappy 500W will only cost <=$35 US.

Cheers.

thx guys for the suggestions ..i just tried it with a 350 watt power supply but the prob still persists.i was trying the nfs most wanted and every time its going into an infinte loop...what should i do?
thx

i forgot to add that once inside the infinite loop it starts dumping physical memory to my hdd :(

i was googling abt the infinite loop and it turns out that it might have been caused due to snall agp aperture size.i have now increased it to 128 and nfs MW is playable but i am still having problems with missing textures...any comments will be very helpful

thx

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Ran your specs on the above link and it came out to 275W, that's continuous power underload when playing games. If you bought a generic crappy PSU at 350W then use 70% of that for for continuous power out. So 350X0.7=245W. You need 275W. Do you see any problems here? Try running the game with the 2nd HDD and any DVD/CD player unplugged from the PSU, You'll have to pull the data cables too. Also just in case take the side off the PC and put a large table fan blowing on it to rule out overheating.

Cheers.

Sorry about my last link i sent, its a case, didnt notice that...sorry, i am dumb :blush:

so u r saying missing textures is due to crappy power supply??
i was using my friends psu of 350 watts and i was still having missing textures in nfs MW....
i'll try a 500 watt psu by this week and see what happens.

If that doesnt work, It may be your graphics card being defective. If its still under warranty, you can replace it for free most likely...

getting it replaced

yeah ...the card is defective...:(. i was running it with a 350 watt psu and the gpu temp rose to 75+ while playing nfs mw and farcry for the first 10 min with the patches installed .I also had a fan directed at it and with the cdrom and one of my hdds disconnected.
I will return it today and it will take 3weeks to get it replaced....:((....

I may have been wrong, but maybe your card is not compatible with your motherboard. What are your system specs?

Well 75C does sound a little too high, a GPU can safely run about 30% higher temp then a CPU can, but a limit is a limit. My 6600GT runs at 55C normal work and when I just shut dwn 3D game, it's about 63C ( so prob higher then that during the game).

Do yourself a favour and buy a 500W PSU, you can never have too much power.
A P4 2.4GHz will use about 90-100Watts of power off the 12V rail alone. I blew up my 450W PSU within the first week I put my rig together. I thought it would be ok for a month or so until I recharged the bank account. NOPE. Smoke poured out the back in the middle of HL2.

Take care.

sys specs

sw123 said:
I may have been wrong, but maybe your card is not compatible with your motherboard. What are your system specs?

motherboard:sis651
cpu:intel pentium4 2.67ghz
1gb Ram
350 watts psu (will buy a 500 soon)

You're fine with that mobo no compatibility issues with the 6600GT, the only thing is the SiS651 chipset is AGPX4 where as the 6600GT is an AGPX8. All X8 gfx cards are backwards compatible to X4. This doesn't mean you'll see 50% performance decrease either. You won't even know the difference if your card has 256Mb and if it has 128Mb then you might have 5-10% decrease in the card's maximum performance due to the bandwidth reduction.

Did you dwnload the latest drviers for the sis651 chipset?
http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/2....58b-windows-98-me-2000-xp-free-download.html

Cheers

kirock said:
You're fine with that mobo no compatibility issues with the 6600GT, the only thing is the SiS651 chipset is AGPX4 where as the 6600GT is an AGPX8. All X8 gfx cards are backwards compatible to X4. This doesn't mean you'll see 50% performance decrease either. You won't even know the difference if your card has 256Mb and if it has 128Mb then you might have 5-10% decrease in the card's maximum performance due to the bandwidth reduction.

Did you dwnload the latest drviers for the sis651 chipset?
http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/2....58b-windows-98-me-2000-xp-free-download.html

Cheers

i had updated the driver a few days back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back