PROBLEM - Access denied for folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, new here, urgently looking for help with a problem, sorry if posted in wrong place.

It's quite a long story. My computer was left for a few mins, when I got back was frozen, wouldnt respond to anything, had to do hard shutdown. Turned back on, freezes before it has even booted anything, and cant access BIOS setup either.

I put my HD into another computer as the primary master, it booted up, got to Windows XP loading screen, just restarted itself.

I've now put it in as secondary master, and I can boot the computer with it's own HD, onto its own copy of windows, and then get to my own original HD. But when I try to access my documents, i go to D:\Documents and Settings, click the folder for my username, and it says "not accessible, access denied". Is there any way to get around this, or indeed anything you can suggest to get the original computer working again? Any help greatly appreciated.

Original computer: WinXP Home SP2.
Second computer: WinXP Home SP1.

One extra thing: on the advice of a friend, I have tried booting up the second PC in safe mode, still get Access Denied error. I also tried safe mode when my HD was connected to the second computer as the primary master, the same thing happened then too, it restarted itself when it got to the loading XP screen.

Thanks a lot, I've got all my files back now! :D

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my PC though? Someone suggested to me it might be a memory-resident virus? If it is, does that mean components like my CD drives, graphics card etc. would be salvagable and could be put into a new system?

with the drive out on problem machine
uplugged from power
remove all but 1 stick of memory
remove graphics card
reset cmos replace graphics card (obvious step ignored if onboard)
power up machine see if it shows bios boot and if so try to get into bios .If you can exit and turn off power add rest of memory repeat.
If no bios boot swap memory,hard to imagine all memory going bad.bios chip bad maybe?

Very simple, you can NOT transplant a master-harddisk into another computer, UNLESS the hardware is identical.
Windows registry holds all info for the original PC's hardware, and includes all the drivers etc. for it as well.
The New PC does NOT function with wrong (read: for another PC) drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back