Problem accessing internet and task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop is running xp home and the other day it crashed. My husband managed to get it running again using checkdisk and some other stuff I know nothing about, but since then I can only sort of access the internet. I have no problems accessing outlook express and it's still downloading new emails but when I open IE it automatically pops up that internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. If I move the box out of the way and don't click on "send or don't send" I can still use the internet for about 5 minutes before IE shuts automatically. I've tried using firefox but don't even get a window open just the box firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close. Also, when I open Task Manager it flashes continuously and it is blank without even a cross to shut the box, I've tried double clicking inside it but nothing happens.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Actually could be a number of issues
HardDrive Faulty
Memory Faulty
Virus/Trojan Activity
System Files Corrupt

I think it's best that you first try to back up any/all user data to CD or Flash drive, and we'll go from there.

My first thought is, does it work in Safe Mode?

But I'll wait for the reply about backing up.

Not exactly sure how but I've solved it myself, lol. did a clean install of IE but that didn't work, so downloaded the opera browser and that works without errors and so does everything else since I installed opera, very odd.

go to the Tools->Options

clear History and delete all cookies and objects

get a command prompt (run -> cmd) and enter these commands
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"​
(use the Quotes)

Everything seems to be resolved now but did as you suggested anyway as I couldn't get updates to run and the task manager is still on the blink, and now my updates work and i've got some of the task manager back as it's now got a cross in the corner so I can shut the stupid thing, lol.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back