Problem burning cds/dvds. image related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmitch38

Im having problems buring discs currently.

It is writing to the disc and the disc will play when playing it on my computer but then will not play on a dvd player or cd player.

This happens when using media player, nero 8 or itunes as the burning software.

Does this sound disc image related? I tried uninstalling itunes but this didnt work and i dont have daemon tools installed.

I have two optical drives but which ever i use i have the same problem.

specs are:-
Athlon X2 dual core 6000
4GB DDR2 RAM
MAXTOR STM3160211AS 150GB SATA
Secondary Seagate 150gb hard drive
Asus m2v motherboard
550watt PSU
2 x LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H

It seems like it is writing lead in and outs but i cant be sure.

I have however noticed that in my computer it describes the drives as dvd-ram instead of dvd rom.

I think this is definitely the problem that the drives are being recognised as dvd ram and not dvd rom.

Ive just tried running a game that requires a cd check at startup and it wontdetect that the game is already installed and opens "installanywhere". The cd won't autoplay either.

Does anyone know the solution to this please?

Noone got any ideas?

Ive tried reinstalling the cd drive drivers but that didnt work.

This is a new computer too so everything should be in tiptop order.

you have uninstalled the CD/DVD drivers, now uninstall the drives themselves and let Windows install them. You might uninstall Daemon Tools first. What version of Windows are you running here?

Your drives will burn a DVD-RAM and pretty fast too at 12X. My LG comes back as a DVD-RAM drive in My Computer, so that shouldn't be a problem. You didn't say what stand alone DVD player you were trying to play the burned DVD in. What CD player were you trying to play a burned CD in?

The disks do have the lead in and out or they wouldn't work in your DVD burners.

Do a disk check on a DVD blank the next time you fire up Nero 8 and see if it's detecting the disk correctly. Are you using DVD+Rs to burn you movies? Nero can automatically set the Book Type to ROM if you allow it to do so. Setting the book type to ROM will give your burned DVDs greater compatibility with older stand alone DVD players.

My guess is that either you're not bit setting the blanks to look like ROMs and/or you have an older DVD player that just will not read a burned DVD.

It doesnt matter what stand alone player i use, a cd wont work on anything apart from my own computer. Im using the correct media types too and this is only a recent problem. my computer was able to burn discs a while ago but i have no idea what changes might have changed this.

Im running XP and don't have daemon tools installed. I tried reinstalling the drives themselves and this didnt work either.

The drives are detecting the discs correctly too.

Thanks for looking btw.

ive tried itunes, media player and nero 8 to burn with.

Im getting somwhere now. Ive just switched the burners from my D: to E: and have burnt a succesful audio cd with my E: drive.

When there are no discs in either drive my D: says DVD-RAM and my E: drive just says CD drive. These are exactly the same two drives so why should the description be different.

The error message i get in media player when tyring to burn says "check connections and make sure disc is clean. Of course ive checked both of these.

My D: drive will not read cds at all now. In its properties it has 1(1) whereas my other drive has 0(0) and both my hard drives also have 0(0).

Is this anything to do with it? are the primary/secondary/slave settings correct?

Nero is absolutely useless! I use Alcohol120%, Media Player 11 for CD's and AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for DVD burning... in an ISO format using 4.7GB DVD+R media.

How are your CD/DVD drives set up? Secondary IDE Master/Slave? Do they both have 80 conductor IDE cables connecting them?

I have my D: as slave and E: as primary IDE, theyre on the same IDE cable.

Surely i should be able to burn with the slave drive too though. I have a 500watt power supply so that should be enough?

Ok I've got a couple of ideas. You have the IDE header to spare so why don't you move the slave drive to the other header and make it a master. When you built your computer did you install all the VIA chipset drivers? Optical drives usually work best with the VIA IDE driver provided by Microsoft. Go into your Device Manager and right click the primary and secondary storage controllers and update their drivers. Reboot and then check to make sure that the driver is provided by Microsoft..

You could try removing ITunes as well - this has been known to cause problems because of the copyright controls built into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back