Problem communicating with router- PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this is my first time in here but I did not know where else to go. I am trying to reinstall my router onto my main PC to get my new wireless laptop to get online. I am having a lot of problems.

A couple months ago my computer got very infected with viruses. So I ran all the antivirus software, spyware removel, etc. Now I am trying to reinstall my router and it is telling me there is a problem communicating with the router. I guess my computer is not recognizing it. What do I do??

Also, on my laptop, it sees the router and sometimes it says "limited access" Now, we can get online using other peoples internet but I dont want to do that. I want mine to work properly. :)

Any suggestions??

Oh yea, I reset the router (its a belkin wireless g router), unplugged it, turned it off....etc. All of that.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

I assume your router->system connection is ethernet.

1) reset the router; uncable it from everything, power on, and hold the reset button on the back for 10 seconds.
the router should restart it self. Power it off

2) now plug the router to the modem, power on and wait for the router to settle down.

3) on your system, use Network Plaves->Network Connections to find your
Local Area Connection.
Right click on it, pull down to Properties.
select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
select DHCP for both IP address and DNS.
click ok to close all windows.

4) connect your router to your system.
about 10 seconds latter, use run->cmd /k ipconfig /all to see
your IP configuration.

in the command prompt window, enter ping google.com
if you get Reply from ..., you're in business, else a Timeout means you've still got problems.

Get this working and then we can discuss your WiFi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back