Problem in XP picture viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshay

I have a P4 2.4 system with 1025 Ram, Geforce Ti 4200 (128) video card. Till last week I could open a folder with as much as 300 images in it, and the browser used to display the thumbnails almost instantly. NOw even if I try and open the folder in the list mode, it takes ages to list all the images. Another interesting thing is, I opened all the images in photoshop, edited them, and saved them. After this, the folder would show all the thumbnails instantly. The total data in the folder in question is
1.56 GB (1,682,423,808 bytes)
total number of files is 6087.
Earlier everytime I would insert the memory card in card reader, it would automatically opena window to transfer the images ...but now I have to do it manually.
Everything else is working great, Oh...before I forget. When I start my system, it gives me a message saying windowas cannot locate the file winlogin.exe
I hit OK and it works.

Thanking you in advance.
Akshay

I searched on the web for this, and came to know that It's related to a worm called Randex32....and I went thru the motions, cleaned the system, found the worm and deleted it.
If only you fine folks could guide me to fix this THUMBNAILS issue, i would be ever so grateful.

You mean its not showing the pix as thumbnails when viewing the folder anymore? If this is the prob, its real easy to fix :)

Open the folder which contains the files you wish to view as thumbnails. Now at the top (above the files, however below the "File", "Edit", "View",etc) theres a bunch of buttons. Click the one thats the window icon. I doubt your getting my drift here, as its kinda hard to explain. Here, I made you a screenshot ;)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 14
No, It's taking a long time to load the thumbnails.
Do folders have a limit to the numbner of subfolders it can optimally have, if yes, how do I change it?
Akshay

Yes it does.
The thing that I do not understand is this....till last week, it was taking no time at all...to download images, or to display thumbnails...but now its almost crawling, and this is the issue only with exploring....also, when this is happening, and I do the CTRL ALT Delete....the cpu is running at almost 100%. whereas when the images have loaded, it's running at 2-3%.
Somebody please help.

I don't have that problem with folders that have 1000 or 2000 images. But I can tell you that in my system, I had a folder with 8000 images and it was quite slow. What windows does is creats a "thumbs.db" file. That file has the little thumbnails. When you firs toggle the thumbnail view in a folder with images, windows resize those pictures and put it in the thumbs.db file. The second time you put thumbnail view it reads the little thumbnails from that file instead of processing them again. That explains:

1.- The first time you toggle thumbnail view it takes longer to display the images. Also the cpu is 100% because resizing images is quite intensive.

2.- Even the second time you view that same folder, if you have 6087 images in that folder, the thumbs.db file would be about 30mb in size. Windows has to check what files have their thumbnail, read the thumbnail and render it.

Plus, keeping so many files in just 1 folder could drive you crazy if you have to look for 1. If i'd were you I'll make some folders and categorize them a bit...

Find the thumbs.db file in that directory (its hidden so make sure you have show hidden files enabled), and delete it, this will force windows to create a new thumbs.db file. Its possible that yours has gotten corrupted somehow.

I do not have all the images in one folder only...they are in the bunches of about 100-200. But the main picture folder has all these subfolder.
I will try and do the thumbs.db and will post tonight about the results.
Thanks again.
Akshay

I tried searching for the file, but it came back with no results, and I did enable the search for hidden folders.
What else can I do now?

Just now I tried to open a folder with six images in it, and it took about 30 seconds to show the thumbnails, and during that time the system was running 100%
Should I reinstall windows?

I just now got done reinstalling windows....still the same issue, but the opening greeting of windows can't locate "winlogin.exe" stopped. I simply do not have any clue why this is happening.

Ah gosh!!! You reinstalled Windows over this!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek: Man....

Sorry but i dunno whats up with windows not being able to find that file.

i've got exactly the same problem...

"upgraded" my system to XP, new motherboard, new harddrives, well, fresh install! tried de-activating antivirus and firewall without it making a _lick_ of difference. tuned XP to run as efficiently as possible, no diff. updated device drivers from nvidia which apparently should fix just this problem. no use.

I'm going mad here... :confused:

anyone got a fix for this, or any idea what i can try? i doubt very much that deleting the .db would make much of a difference, as it's happening to _all_ my images. surely not all of them can be corrupted?

windows image viewer

I have a similiar issue with WinXP SP2, but it only occurs with jpegs. GIF files work quickly. Is this your issue? What service pack do you have?

Try the following:

1. Check the properties on your folder and turn off indexing
2. move the contents of the folder to a new folder outside of the folder in question, perhaps on your desktop (UNLESS YOUR ORIGINAL FOLDER IS ON YOUR DESKTOP)
3. move the contents back to the original folder.

You should be able to open the images quickly. You can know turn file indexing back on.

David Goodale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back