Problem installing a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm trying to install an Albatron FX5500 card on a Jetway PM9Ms M/b, which has an onboard vga. After physically installing the new card in the AGP slot, the system will not see it, the onboard vga is still active, (reducing my system ram by 64k), the display adapter section of the "devices" section of the control panel still shows the onboaed display adapter, and there is no setting in the award BIOS to deactivate the onboard vga.
In addition to the above the people who sold me the computer say that what is happening is impossible, and the M/b manufactures tech support dpt doesn't answer my email.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does the divice manager show the card as bing in the computer? wait i do hope you installed drivers ;). Anyways If it does show that you have a card in the slot, when you are on device manager right click on the onboard graphics and select disable, and that should hopefully do it, that always seems to be the problem, and are you sure that your BIOS doesn't have an option to change the graphics card? If not try and find an update for your BIOS version!

you bios should give you the option. if in doubt do a flash update. are there any jumpers you missed?

No I downloaded his users manual. There is no BIOS setting to disable the onboard VGA, and no jumper setting as well.

DD Here is what I want you to try. First of all remove your graphics card.
Then go to nVidia's site and on the drivers download page download the 6.6.9.3 driver. I know there are newer ones, but those drivers will work best for that card. I know I have a 5900GT and I benchmark higher with those than the 71's or the new 75's. You'll find them in the archive section. A link will be on the left side of the drivers page. Anyway save them to your hard drive.

You need to go into the add remove programs window and see if the VGA Driver is listed. If it is uninstall it. If it isn't don't worry about it. Go into the device manager and open the display adapter. You should see your onboard VGA listed. Double click on it and go to the driver tab. Hit uninstall. A message will ask if you really want to uninstall this device. Say yes. Then you will get a message saying you have to reboot to complete the installation Do you wanna do it now? SAY NO. Then shut down your system. Don't restart, shut down. Unplug the rig and install the video card. Plug it back in reboot and go into the BIOS.

Go to Advanced Chipset Features, AGP timings and set the aperture to the size of the memory on the card, and the transfer mode to 8X if it's an 8X AGP card. Then go to Integrated Peripherals, and set the Init Display First setting to AGP. I think that's everything for now. Hit F10. It will ask if you want to save and exit? Say Y. When it reboots you can use the new hardware wizard, but I always just install from the executable where I saved the nVidia drivers. Those little tool tip balloons will pop up in the lower right corner. Be ready with your mouse and X out of them, and cancel the found new hardware wizard. You will get a balloon saying there was a problem with your hardware and it may not be installed properly. That's a good thing. That's what we want to see. That means the vga is running off the default MS drivers. Go to where you saved the drivers and start the install. When it's done it will ask you to reboot. Go ahead and when it boots back up everything will be really big. That means it's working. Right click on a blank spot on your desktop hit properties, go to settings, advanced button and adjust your resolutions and stuff.

OK if you want to overclock your card, then go to

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

and download ForceWare Coolbits 2.0 That will unlock your frequency settings on the nVidia tab in system settings. Have fun. I hope this works or I'll be P.O.'d. That was a lot of writing for my hunt and peck style LOL Let us know if you got it up and running. Good luck.

Thank's luvhuffer for all the trouble you went through to type all those instructions.
I followed them, but it seems that the onboard vga does not want to be uninstalled, because after putting in the new card and starting the computer all I got was a black screen. So I unpluged the display cable from the FX5500 card and repluged it in the onboard vga connector. Then I got back a normal display view and the message "new hardware found". So I checked the device manager and there was the onboard vga fully installed and functional again.

Then I would think on the basis of what you told me, you need to find somebody with a video card you can try. Your video card may be bad. Or worse your AGP slot may be bad. Can you take the video card and or computer back to where you bought it and have it checked, or did you buy online and have to do all the RMA crap. Sorry that didn't help you. I would be going bananas if it was me and I couldn't get it up and running to play games and stuff. LOL I'll go back and look through your BIOS again and see if there was something I missed.

Oh man I woke up last night and realized I forgot something that may be important. You need to go to your mobo CD and install the AGP driver for the mobo. If it's not installed, that may be why the AGP slot isn't seeing the card. Usually it is installed with the chipset drivers, but since it is listed seperately on your mobo CD it may have to be installed as a stand alone. Install the VIA AGP VXD driver, not the PM800VGA driver. see page 38 in your users manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back