Problem installing new Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, 1st off im not to computer literate (yet) so im going to do my best to explain my situation. here is my specs

Mainboard-MSI PT880 Neo with a p4 2.4ghz cpu
1g RaM (i forget type)
ATI RADEON 9200 gaphics card
Western Digital Caviar serial ATA 120gb HD
Lite-on dvd-RW
floppy drive
Windows xp pro OS

well i had this tech guy that ran a lil "one man PC repair place" help me order/assemble everything. and the system worked for about 2 weeks then one day i was running a game and got a BSOD. the comp dumped memmory and restarted.and whenever i turned on the comp it would boot up all the way to the windows xp logo loading screen then reboot. so i sent it to that tech guy and it sat at his house for about 2 months then i finaly got it back. he said it was virus releated.(FYI i dont use any p2p things, i have macrafee security center and spybot. 95% of my internet time is used on EQ2 i dont know where i would be getting viruses) so i went back to my gaming.. well about 2 weeks later i get the same BSOD and my comp sat at the guys house for another month+ this time he reformated my HD (no big deal i didnt have much on it) the pc worked for about another three weeks or so, i get the BSOD, then my comp sits at his house for another month or so and he tells me my hd was shot and he ran some diognostic thing on it and repaired it. well this time my comp worked for like 2months. then i got the BSOD again. i cant aford to take it to that guy, and my parent wont pay for it because my warenty is up. so i saved up and bought a new HD and planned on setting up a RAID with the new HD as a master and the faulty one as a slave.

the new HD is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250gb Serial ATA150 (it was on sale :p )

so i opened up my case, studied how my HD was attatched. i took it out and put the new HD in. the new HD went in ez, and the wires(Serial Data, and the SATA power) that where attached to my old HD easily attatched to the new HD. so now that i mirrored the wiring setup from old to new HD i decided to not setup the 2x HD RAID and try to get windows to boot on the new HD. (i just want my comp working )

so i put my windows xp pro cd in and tryed to install it. it said that windows setup didnt detect a HD. so i went to seagate website downloaded discwizard to make instalation discs. i ran the discs and it partitioned the drive and set it up to put windows on it. then i tryed to install windows again and it came up with that same "no HD detected"

so now i am completly lost on what to do. since the instalation discs for my HD partitioned and set up the file system type it must be wired right; right? how come when i try running Windows xp installation it wont detect the new HD. iv put in about 15+ hrs of studing the wiring, the net, and the documentation (i dont have much)

Also, i live in a very small town, the only person within 100miles of me that would be able to help is that same guy that i cant afford. thus the internet is basicly my only source of help.

Thanks

Enter the BIOS by pressing Del when prompted. Check that the hard drives are recognised.
Check the boot order. Set it to Floppy; CDRom; Hard disc.

ok in "Standard CMOS features" section of my BIOS i got

date
time

Primary IDE Master Lite-On DVDRW LDW
Primary IDE Slave Not Installled
Secondary IDE Master Not Installed
Secondary IDE Slave Not Installed

so i guess my task is making the BIOS recognize the HD... well now that i got my new problem im going to browse the net/google while i monitor this thread.

Thanks so much for the help i was so desprate. your my hero :D

That is only your CD showing. Did you get offered a chance to select your hard disc in the boot menu?

k i went into advanced bios features and boot sequence its set up like this.

1st floppy
2nd Lite-on dvdrw
3rd BBS-0(RAID):ST3250823AS

is 3rd my hard drive? it is connected to a raid controller afaik.

well i tryed installing windows xp again and got the same "no hard drive detected"

i do have the HD choice on boot options. but it isnt on any of my IDE thingy. its still only showing my cd drive

Primary IDE Master Lite-On DVDRW LDW
Primary IDE Slave Not Installled
Secondary IDE Master Not Installed
Secondary IDE Slave Not Installed

After POST you get a menu (where you pressed Del for Setup). Press F11 (that is function key) this will give you a menu. Use Up/Down to select BBS-0(RAID):ST3250823AS and press [Enter]. See if this works.

ok boot menu is in this order
floppy
dvdrw
HD
network

i booted the HD and got

NTLDR Missing!
Prss CTRL+ALT+DEL

i dont have an OS on the HD yet, when i try to install windows xp it says it doesnt detect aHD

Excellent. You used the word install in your previous post. Does this mean that you do not have an OS on the disc?

sorry im trying =)
but yea, its a brand new Hard drive. iv tryed installing Windows xp pro on it but when im prompted to hit "Enter" to begin installing windows. i get an error saying there is no hard drive detected.

OK, now we know where we are. You should have the SATA drivers on a floppy, if you haven't got them download them from this page. and copy them to a floppy. You'll need this floppy early on when Windows ask you to press F6 if you wish to load third party drivers.

This link is for installing over the top, but may help to guide you through.

I don't know what time it is where you are, but here in London it is 01:30 nad so it is off to bed for me.

Good luck with it. Post back and if you're not sorted I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you so much, ill download the file and my brother can get off my back for using his laptop. (i hate this keyboard anyway)

your a life saver i should be able to get it from here.

YaY

Thank you so much Ironduke. my computer is up and working now. now its time to install all my stuff, get my games installed, get my "fix," and read up on that RAID post thats stickied in this forum. maby get that 2nd Hard drive in =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back