Problem installing Radeon 9800 Pro....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Toddy

I just recently got a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb. I uninstalled the drivers for my old card, took the old card out and put the new one in, and when I booted up my system, it got to the loading Windows XP screen, but it wouldn't go past it. It kinda just hung there. The animation for the loading screen was still working, but I couldn't do anything with my keyboard.

My system specs:
Windows XP Profesional
Asus A7N8X motherboard (nforce 2)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1 gig pc2100 ram
Maxtor 7200 RPM 160 gb hd
ATI TV Wonder PCI TV Tuner

Oh yeah, and I have the latest Nvidia nforce drivers installed (from their website)

Anybody have any ideas? I'd really love to test this new card out.

Try popping your old card back in, wait for all to come up....even if it's just in VGA mode and install the drivers for your new card. Shut down and install the new card and see if that works. Otherwise, try installing the drivers in safe mode if you can get there.

BTW, in case I'm reading this wrong, you state that you've got the latest NForce drivers installed. This is from your "old" card, right? Your new card needs Catalyst drivers from ATI's site.

NO NO NO NO! NFORCE NFORCE NFORCE! NOT GEFORCE! WHY DOES EVERYBODY READ NFORCE AS GEFORCE? NFORCE IS A MOTHERBOARD NOT A GRAPHCIS CARD! NFORCE IS MY MOTHERBOARD! NFORCE 2 NFORCE 2!

Sorry for shouting, but on EVERY forum I have read, the only response I get is uninstall the geforce drivers. It's nothing against you, I'm just frustrated. I'll try your suggestion, somebody else suggested that also.

Ok, I fixed it, the problem was that the latest Nvidia nforce drivers from their website don't work to well with the A7N8X mobo, so I installed the mobo drivers and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back