problem installing xp mce

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytel

hi

I recently put a new pc together and had all sorts of problems with my jumper setings on the hard drives,i now think i have that sorted because on th inital boot up it decets all both mastar and slave drives but when i put in the xp mce disc to bot up it takes ages to get to the blue set up screen then i can hit f8 to agree with whatever it is im agreeing tooand it shows me the drives i can put xp on too i choose the mastar drive with has the smallest capacity(60gig) and it formats the partition then loads the first part of set up(no product key has been asked for as yet)it fully loads and says system will reeboot in 15 seconds to continue with set up,when it reeboots it just goes back to the stat again askin me to agree (f8) and start install, when i do that is says already a copy of xp has been installed,if i take disc out and boot ftrom drive or floppy it detects drives then says insert bootable media are select proper bootable device? ive tried everything i can think of but nothing,MY HEAD IS MELTED.i got the disc of a friend and planned to use my product code but on the disc it says for dell only would this make any difference?

Sometimes dell puts out restore discs that just have windows on it, but some of them are picky and will only work on a dell machine. You shouldnt have much of a problem, just let it reboot with the cd in the drive, but dont boot to it, just let it skip "Booting" from the disk.

if i let it boot with the cd in the drive it just goes back to set up.. its frying my head. ill try with another xp disc and see if that helps... somone told me to hit esc before it restarts after the firs part of setup and it will continue to boot is this true?

no, the computer will need to restart, but the disc should give you the option of booting to the CD or not. Once you reach the "Press any key to boot from cd" just wait till that goes away.

Lookin at the way my jumper pins on the drives are set up i think that might be the cause of my problem after all
ill make sure i have all that sorted and see what happens after that
thanks for the help anyway... if i dont getb it sorted il post back

Right

ive took out one of the hard drives formatted it and tried to install a brand new copy of windoes xp pro on it.. same thing happens,i get through the first part of setup,it reboots and starts from the start again going back through the first part of setup.im sure its something stupid ive not done. anyone any ideas or had this problem and solve it, thanks for your time

one last thing... after i go to boot from cd and setup loads and reeboots should i then go into bios and change the boot sequence to floppy then h/drive

You could if you wanted to, it shouldnt matter. I still say after it reboots the 1st time (after initail setup process) and you once again reach the "Press any key to boot from cd" DONT PUSH ANY KEY!

tried that last night.. got all the way to the reboot and a black screen with choose bootable device oor insert boot media and press any key.. i left it all night and nothing.. would it be a problem with the way my jumper pins are set up om the dvd drive/hard drive or my bios settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back