Problem: login as administrator, WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christufa

WinXP woes, & easy fix with your help...

1- How do you login as an administrator in WinXP Pro? At the login screen, what key command is it (if i remember correctly) that then takes you to an admin login area.

2- I need to uninstall these (below). My computer worked fine sunday night, then I installed these two patches, and come to find out.... the HORROR! Today, I boot up and then sign in under my login, wait 3 seconds, and BLAM, blue screen o' death & my computer reboots. I need to get admin access to uninstall these patches (the other account doesn't have admin access), but I've forgotten how to login as one. bleh...

(from 3DS homepage)
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...;en-us;Q317277&

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...;en-us;Q318388&

I installed these two patches on sunday night, and believe they are causing the mess. (thanks Microsoft :rolleyes)

Any help is needed & appreciated.

(how do i login as admin under winxp)

Do you need to be logged in to do the uninstall? I have never logged in to my home system. It just boots inas Admin.

I know on my account that I am setup as an admin. I am not exactly sure how you would change to the admin account. If there is some different admin account it should popup when you are given choices to login with something. Like I have the choice to login as guest, or My Name. And under my name it says admin account. But before I setup my own admin account, I know that when given a choice to login, it was between guest, My Name, and Administrator. This seems very strange to me. I'll try and do some research and get back to you!

Re: WinXP woes, & easy fix with your help...

Originally posted by Christufa
1- How do you login as an administrator in WinXP Pro? At the login screen, what key command is it (if i remember correctly) that then takes you to an admin login area.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice. That should prompt you the normal WinNT/2K login screen. You can then login as Administrator from there.

You could disable the WinXP welcome screen, that way you would get a standard Windows style logon box. Think it was in Control Panel/Users Accounts/Change the way users log on and off.

whew...

thnx Lokem. it worked. ctrl-alt-del x2 & then logged in as "Administrator." deleted the patches & used system restore.

computer cured. thnx for the help!

Originally posted by Christufa
whew...

thnx Lokem. it worked. ctrl-alt-del x2 & then logged in as "Administrator." deleted the patches & used system restore.

computer cured. thnx for the help!

Not a problem! Oh, you can try what Th3M1ghtyD8 said to revert your login screen back to that of WinNT/2k.

For a start, shouldn't this be in the windows thread?

Anyway i know if you boot in safe mode you can log in as the admin, you do this by pressing F5 when your comp is booting up. Around the time of the screen that tells you to press delete to enter your bios or whatever, not really sure what to call this screen..

Well actually, it should have been its own thread. This thing was dead back in 2002. But I'll move it.

Windows forum was what i meant. Meh, didn't realise it was that old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back