Problem networking XP with Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

We have a desktop running XP Pro and a laptop on Win2K. We have had them running a network quite happily in the past, until a reinstall was necessary on the desktop. Since then, we have been unable to get them to talk to each other.

The network is wired and runs on an ntl cable modem and a Netgear router.

We can share the internet connection happily, but XP will not see Win2K, tho Win2K sees XP.

When trying to view workgroup computers from the pc, I get the message: Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to access etc etc... and: The network path was not found.

I should explain that we are both logged in as Administrator, with the same password on each system. I have run the network wizard many times, and even installed NETBEUI, just in case this helps.

Out of interest, we installed XP on the laptop (the owner hates xp...) and we had exactly the same problem.

XP's *coughs* firewall is disabled. We both run Sygate Pro, and that is not asking permission to send a packet or anything similar.

Any help would really be appreciated, since I am about to go bald through pulling out my hair!

Cheers!

Im not sure if this will help you, but try opening Windows Explorer or My Computer
click <Tools>, <Folder Options>, <View>
scroll all the way to bottom
try toggling 'Use simple file sharing'

A few questions for you..

• Are you attempting to access the computer by browsing the workgroup with Windows explorer?
  • Does the error message mention anything about, "not enough storage space"?
There's so many variables with network shares, its hard to troubleshoot without actually being there. You're being denied workgroup access and there's a computer with Windows 2000, which I think might be a good hint as what is going on. So here's my suggestion... You can try it and if it works, great. If not, then we'll keep hitting it.

First one - Disable your firewall or any applications you think may limit connecting to your computer.

Second suggestion - Enable NetBIOS
  • Right click My Network Places and choose Properties
  • Right click your network connection and choose Properties again
  • Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties once more
  • Click on Advanced and then click WINS
  • I'm assuming you're using DHCP, so you'll want to select "Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server."
  • Click "OK" as many times as necessary to get out of all that crap :)

Check this on both computers, but I'm particularly interested in your checking this on your Windows 2000 computer. Reboot all computers on the network afterwards. Once they all reboot, try to browse your network again.

Remember: Don't forget to disable your firewall or any applications you think may limit connecting to your computer once you reboot. This applies to all computers you are trying to connect to/from.

A lot to be going on with!

Yes, plenty of shares.

Yes, I am trying to access via Explorer. There is no message about not enough storage space.

OK, shall try all recommendations, and report back tomorrow.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I appreciate it.

OK: Yes, NETBIOS and NETBEUI enabled

Tried everything Rick posted, and the situation is now this:

Simple file sharing disabled

I (pc) can now see the pc and the laptop (win2k) for the first time, but am still unable to access the laptop and am getting the same error messages as I was originally. The laptop can see itself, but not the pc.

So: some progress!

Any further thoughts, much appreciated, and thanks for all your help so far :D

Your laptop canot see the PC still... Which is complicated. :(

Ask yourself the following questions:

1.) Workgroup or domain - Are they the same?
2.) Subnet Mask - Is it the same for both PCs? (DHCP should be correct).
3.) Client for Microsoft Networks - Is it installed and enabled?
4.) NetBIOS and possibly NetBEUI - Are they installed & enabled?
5.) Firewall software - Is it disabled or set to allow network connections?

If the answer is yes to all of the questions, it should really work for you. If isn't working, then you probably have an issue that is not due to configuration or hardware, but a bug of some sort.

Some things you may want to try to verify the above are:

1.) Look in System Properties --> Computer Name
2.) Look in Network Properties --> TCP/IP
3.) Look in Network Properties
4.) Look in Network Properties
5.) From the computer that can see both itself and the other, Start -> Run -> Type cmd . Then type ping name_of_other_pc in the prompt window. (name_of_pc will be the name of your other PC, obviously. You may also use the IP address) If you get a reply, we know it is not a firewall/connectivity issue. If you recieve time outs or other errors, then we know where to look.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx

in your nic properties make sure the wins panel at bottom reads checked
enable LMHosts lookup

enable netbios over tcp/ip
do not use default setting
in the pc that can not access other machine
in security setting add network add permissions for network

in sygate add the router ip as a trusted network

Right: well I don't know which particular form of action worked, but all is now well! Network up and running, and happily sharing!

A massive thank you to all of you for helping!

Cheers chaps! And if ever any of you are in the UK, I owe you a beer or several!

josbd said:
Right: well I don't know which particular form of action worked, but all is now well! Network up and running, and happily sharing!

A massive thank you to all of you for helping!

Cheers chaps! And if ever any of you are in the UK, I owe you a beer or several!

I accept money orders, certified checks and C.O.D. Please, no personal or third party checks. Thanks!

:p

Damn.......... got a pile of slightly dubious 3rd party cheques sitting here, heheh!!

Many thanks to all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back