Problem recognising XP 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just upgraded my CPU to an XP 3200+ Barton core from and XP 1800+. My ASUS A7N8X mobo didn't recognise it automatically so I tried to change the BIOS settings. I changed the external frequency to 200MHz and the multiplier to 11x (as what I thought it should be) and it won't reboot. It just hangs and I think the graphics card also packs in (the fan has LEDs which go out after restarting with this config). I also changed the memory settings from "auto" to "by SPD" which bumped it up to 200MHz from 166.

I can get the multiplier up to 12.5x on 166MHz but as soon as I change it again it hangs and I have to flash the BIOS.

Current settings (according to CPU-Z):
CPU core voltage: 1.648 v
core speed: 2079.5MHz (12.5x) 266FSB
memory frequency: 166MHz

Specs:
Athlon XP 3200+ Barton core
ASUS AN8X deluxe mobo
2x 512MB Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 RAM
128MB GeForce FX5950 graphics
Vantec 470W PSU

Thanks for any help :D

Just read the A7N8X thread so went back to check a few things -
mobo was revision 1001 but I updated it ages ago to 1007. FSB spread spectrum was set to 0.50% so turned that off, set the freq. and mult. settings and it booted to the POST screen showing an XP 3200+ with 1GB RAM (also moved one of the sticks into the second channel) but hangs after the memory test.

Well, the question is now which version of that motherboard do you have ? Btw are you sure you have an A7N8X & not an A7N8X-E ?

Yes I definately have the A7N8X not -E. Not entirely sure what you mean by motherboard version, I thought that was it. I checked for the number inbetween the PCI slots but it's not there.

EDIT - just found it, says 1.04.

The 1.04 revision wasn't meant to support the 200mhz FSB. There has been a BIOS released (the 1006 I believe) specifically for that issue but it still a hit & miss situation. he revisions prior to the 2.00 one did not come with the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset which officially supports the 200mhz FSB.

So you're saying theres not much I can do about it? as I said before I've updated the BIOS to 1007.

Well half solved it - a quick upgrade to latest BIOS (1008) and it recognised the CPU and memory in dual channel mode, AND got all the way to windows :D
Only problem now is the screen keeps randomly going black for about a second and then coming back on.

fitz said:
Hi,

I just upgraded my CPU to an XP 3200+ Barton core from and XP 1800+. My ASUS A7N8X mobo didn't recognise it automatically so I tried to change the BIOS settings. I changed the external frequency to 200MHz and the multiplier to 11x (as what I thought it should be) and it won't reboot. It just hangs and I think the graphics card also packs in (the fan has LEDs which go out after restarting with this config). I also changed the memory settings from "auto" to "by SPD" which bumped it up to 200MHz from 166.

I can get the multiplier up to 12.5x on 166MHz but as soon as I change it again it hangs and I have to flash the BIOS.

Current settings (according to CPU-Z):
CPU core voltage: 1.648 v
core speed: 2079.5MHz (12.5x) 266FSB
memory frequency: 166MHz

Specs:
Athlon XP 3200+ Barton core
ASUS AN8X deluxe mobo
2x 512MB Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 RAM
128MB GeForce FX5950 graphics
Vantec 470W PSU

Thanks for any help :D

Just read the A7N8X thread so went back to check a few things -
mobo was revision 1001 but I updated it ages ago to 1007. FSB spread spectrum was set to 0.50% so turned that off, set the freq. and mult. settings and it booted to the POST screen showing an XP 3200+ with 1GB RAM (also moved one of the sticks into the second channel) but hangs after the memory test.
if you have a regular A7N8X board,you need to update the Bios to 2.0 rev1010 which is the latest for that board

bwchato said:
if you have a regular A7N8X board,you need to update the Bios to 2.0 rev1010 which is the latest for that board
You shouldn't update the board with a BIOS made for a 2.0 revision if you do not have such a revision.

My board was revision 1.04, the latest BIOS for which is 1008, not for rev 2.0. I did this and was able to get it to run at ful speed but the AGP suffered. I have come to the conclusion that the PCB itself just can't handle it (or one of the chips, not sure but definately something hardware). Maybe not just the FSB but that coupled with some good RAM and a good GFx card made it topple over. I've got it running stabely at 2800+ with FSB of 166 and 12.5x multiplier while I wait for my new mobo to arrive :D

I had the same problem and done the same thing. Its ok to update the BIOS with 1.04 revision. There are specific updates (1008 newest one) that are specifically for revision 1.04. just need to download the right one. All works fine and 1.04 rev can run 200mhz FSB ;) at 11.0X

A7n8x

Didou said:
You shouldn't update the board with a BIOS made for a 2.0 revision if you do not have such a revision.
my board is an A7N8X 2.0ACPI rev1010.It was 2.0 with a 1006 or 1007 when i bought it.I'm running the AMD 3200+ with no problems for the 5 days it has been in the computer.Sorry for the wrong specs the 1st time.If you look on my board between the pci slots it says A7N8X 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back