Problem setting up a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1nerd

I have a dsl connection on my main computer. I want to split the connection between my pc and my roomates laptop. I am running windows xp pro and she has windows 2000. I went out and bought a linksys wired router. My roomates laptop has no working cdrom drive or floppy drive.

I have the cdrom to load the router on the machine but not sure how to put the files on her computer. I was thinking about buying a usb cdrom and doing it that way. The only problem i see with that is the usb cdrom may not be picked up by the computer since it's running such a old operating system windows 2000.

Don't need a CD-ROM

You shouldn't need to load drivers on her computer.

Simply make sure she computer is set to automatically obtain an IP address and you should be good to go.

(and Windows 2000 isn't that old... :/ )

To make sure her's is set to automatically obtain an IP, go.

Start -> Settings -> Network and Dial-up Connections -> right click on Lan Connection and click Properties -> Click on Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) -> Click properties -> Make sure the Obtain an IP address Automatically is checked -> Make sure Obtain DNS Server Adresses Automatically is check. -> Click ok -> Click ok

That should be it.

When i try to setup a lan connection it wont add a shortcut to a lan connection or anything. I thought it was a spyware issue so i deleted all of the spyware and i still can't make a connection to the internet :(

What shortcut where? When you have the NIC drivers installed then you get a Local Area Connection icon in your network settings. You don't need to "dial" it from a desktop icon or anything.

Hook up all the cables.

Go to Start->Run

Type in command.

At the command prompt, type the entire next line.

ipconfig/all > c:\ipconfig.txt

Attach the file c:\ipconfig.txt to a message here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back