Problem turning on Dell Inspiron 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently spilled some beer on my laptop computer. 20 Seconds afterward I took the computer apart and had it shutdown and all. I cleaned up the mess. After a little bit to let dry out, I put the computer together again to see if it would work again.

Well the computer turned on and all seemed okay, besides it saying my CMOS Settings had been cleared. That doesn't affect a computer. After hitting F2 to continue, A screen came up and said External Auxilary Failure, which I figure to be my CD ROM drive. I pulled it out and tried turning on the computer again.

All that happened is my power light (green) AND battery light (amber) is solidly on. If I just try it on battery power, to get these lights on I have to hit the power button. If I try AC power then as soon as I plug it in it has this problem.

I am pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with the motherboard. I am also pretty sure the computer should work by now. I have cleaned my computer like this many times before and never had a problem. By cleaning, I mean taking the entire thing apart and washing the parts and setting them to dry in a dry clean dust free room, with a fan to hasten the drying process.

This is why I say the the mobo should be okay. That and it turned on before also. If anyone has anything that may help me with this problem I could really use it. Thank You.

PS. I paid 2700 dollars for this, and had the computer for only a year and 8 months.

I have cleaned my computer like this many times before and never had a problem. By cleaning, I mean taking the entire thing apart and washing the parts and setting them to dry in a dry clean dust free room, with a fan to hasten the drying process.
this type of cleaning is not nessesary, and taking apart a laptop is just asking for trouble. if you actually periodically washed (with water or something) one or more electronic parts, the laptop wouldn't have lasted long anyways. if you spilled the beer on the keyboard, you should know that laptop makers had this scenario in mind when they put a rubber backing to the keyboard designed to keep liquids/dust from the keyboard off the internal components. regular computer keyboards have this rubber too. i actually spilled some of my home-made moonshine on a keyboard once, and the approx. 180 proof stuff didn't cause any problems, excepting the fire hazard. your best bet is to take it into a shop so a technician can get his hands on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back