Problem Updating to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcfc

When I try to update from 98 to xp, at exactly 67 minutes left, it comes up illegal action and windows has to reset or close the program. It says it is because of a problem with Winnt32. Was wondering if I can still update. Also, I don't want to loose any of my files because it is a business computer and I need the things on it.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

We need to know your system specs please fill them out in my.TS forum at the top of the page(click on edit profile).

Once we have these we will be more able to help you.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Well I work at a small business so there is no administrator.

Howard: I am having problems with my 98 and kind of want a change, so is there anyway I can do it?

Sorry ,but I have to agree with the boys, from the few specs you listed ,I doubt you could run XP.
You can confirm this at microsoft web site .There is a system analizer that will examine your machine online for Free.However ,you would need Hi speed . 50 Mb down load, that you can remove.
If there is any way you could upgrade you Hardware.It would be no problem to transfer the files you want to keep to your new machine.

the screen is going blue and it is saying fatal error or something to that effect. and it is just 98.

also, how do i get into the system analizer?

the problem is is it came preinstalled and i dont have the disc and now i got xp for my computer and i wanted to install it here too.

All I can suggest it that you upgrade to a newer and faster computer it needn`t cost that much you can pick up a decent second hand computer fairly cheaply.

Because you have no 98 cd I don`t think that there`s much you can do except upgrade.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

You can run XP, it will just run real slowly.

You could put 2k on it, it would likely run faster than XP. I'd say you should have 128megs of ram at the minimum for putting either 2k or XP on it though.

Your problem may be caused to a device conflict, if you are really wanting to get XP on it you might have better luck removing all pci cards (unless 1 is your video card, leave that one in :)) and disconnecting everything from the back except your mouse/keyboard/monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back