Problem using MSBSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarols

Hi there, I have been trying to use the MS Baseline security analyser, but have been unable to get it to complete. I have followed the tutorial on this site. I have put in the correct IP address for my standalone PC, given the proggie access to the net, and it seems to statrt the scan ok, but comes up with computer not found at IP address ***.**.***.**
Am I missing something here people? Cheers Chris

What operation system are u running, what internet connection type and also are u running a firewall or virus scanner?

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I am using Win 2k pro, on a dialup 56k connection. I am using Zone Alarm (free) version (Latest) I have disabled proximitron (proxy configurator) and ensured a direct connection to the internet, and made sure that the program is actually scanning my computer at the correct IP address. I am also using AVG Antivirus (free). Many thanks for any help Cheers Chris

Is it just me or is an IP address 3 numbers grouped 4 times?

Reenter your address and try again. Then try 127.0.0.1

Exactly how did you obtain your IP address? Try another method, see if it's different.
Such as -> open a DOS command prompt and type ipconfig
It will say IP Address....................................***.***.***.***

I don't know much about MSBSwhatever, is it used to scan other computers? If so just run it from another computer & scan away.

Thanks for the reply. The IP address was taken from ipconfig.exe, and also out of my firewall log. I think that the problem is with Zone alarm. I dont understand logs that well . Having done a few online type security scans (common ports) my PC is invisible on the net (good thing) but not sure if MSBA can handle firewalls. I also tried typing in 127.0.0.1 (Local address) but still get "computer not found" I have even tried turning off firewall, but still same results! Thanks for the help tho :) Cheers Chris

You shouldn't need to enter in an IP address if you're just going to be scanning your own machine. When it loads you should be able to select "Scan a computer" & just Hit Start Scan, no need to use an IP. It'll already have the info needed in "Computer name".

Try typing in your computer name, and if you are on a network, disable your LAN connection for a moment.

I've had several programs give me problems over having both a local and remote IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back